Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:19 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
FUBARed trans part of the month;

This is the front planetary gear assembly from a 1999 518 trans, note how the gear is discolored and the aluminum housing melted because it got so hot? This was caused by clutch lining failure in the lock-up torque converter. The lubrication and cooling circuit first goes through the torque converter,then out the front cooler line fitting to the cooler. From the cooler,it goes back to the rear fitting and then to all the bearings in the transmission. The clutch lining plugged up the trans cooler lines,and caused the damage showm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:25 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Gross. It's a pain to have to face this kind of trans damage, for sure, but zoom out a little and do some math to take some of the sting out of it: a lockup torque converter of the type in that transmission improves fuel economy by about 8 percent. I'm betting the fuel saved by the lockup torque converter from mile zero until now probably goes a fair long way towards paying for this transmission job, or maybe even more-than-paying for it.

The preventive solution seems simple to me, though: Slightly alter the fluid circuit so it goes out the front cooler line fitting to an inline filter and from there to the cooler, then to the rear fitting and then to all the bearings in the transmission. That way you'll have ample warning in the form of gradually worsening torque converter lockup shudder without starving the rest of the transmission with a solid-pack plug-up of the works, because the torque converter clutch debris will be sequestered in the inline filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:37 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I agree with Dan about the filter.
We have a trans shop in town, that does their own converter rebuilds. They use a better/improved clutch material.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:22 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Yes, true Dan,If you put a pencil to the fuel savings,it will probly equal out.I just posted the pic because I'm on the "fix it" part of the deal, instead of the "pay the bill" end. This is the type of mess trans guys have to deal with, that wouldn't happen with a non lock-up. I also agree the inline trans filter will help most of the times,but often the front fitting clogs first with a large piece of clutch lining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
would a trans temp gauge have tipped u off?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:28 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Yes Jon, a temp gauge probly would have helped. I'm still in the planning stage here, but a filter and a temp gauge will be be installed on the customer's truck for sure. I may also invent a low oil pressure warning system that is armed in gears other than Park and Neutral in the future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:52 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
did this vehicle do towing @ all..

slant six's RULE!

http://www.usajon.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:18 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Just a FYI. Had to stop by my local trans shop, on Friday. I asked them about a converter rebuild for a A-500 trans. They can increase the stock stall speed by about 400 rpm (3.9 have the highest stall from the factory), and upgrade the clutch to either Kevlar, or Carbon fiber, for under $100 exchange. So use that as a guide.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Bump for Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:41 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I run a non lockup A518 in my Valiant,though I have owned lockup A518's before.I always run a large trans cooler,an inline filter AND the Mopar fluid.These trans are notorious for having lubrication problems.So far this has made the trans as reliable as any non OD Torqueflite,but everyhing has to be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks gents.....
Any suggestions on a particular brand filter or part number? and where you mount it?
It sounds like a real good idea!

Mine came from a 79 Dodge Aspen station wagon used for $100. The Aspen was a Super six car and had several hundred thousand on it. I installed a front pump seal and rear tail shaft seal, and filter which looked fine at the time and drove the heck out of it, about 35,000 miles. Up and over the mountain passes several times. It is in my 74 Dart Swinger. It always vibrated at idle from day one and I wondered why......but at speed you never felt a thing. I run my Dart hard every day so I got my monies worth the past 1.5 years since install. Mileage on short hops locally is 25 mpg, long trips mileage goes up.
The tranny never felt as spunk like the stock 74 904. I couldn't burn rubber with the Sure-Grip like before or four wheel drift the corners. Quarter mile times are much slower. It is a much more mild mannered transmission. Mileage is great though.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:37 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
My inline filter was purchased locally in Australia,the brand name escapes me.Im sure a very similar style would be available in the USA,but basically it hooks up like a fuel filter,similar in shape and constructed of hard black plastic.To install just cut the cooler hose and slip it on and use hose clamps of course.It also has magnets inside which is another bonus.
You could always run the trans non lockup if you really want to,but make sure you have a good cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
You could probably adapt an engine oil filter remote kit to be an inline filter.........

(then your tranny filter can be the same as the engine filter)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Aggressive Ted wrote:
I couldn't burn rubber with the Sure-Grip like before or four wheel drift the corners. Quarter mile times are much slower. It is a much more mild mannered transmission. Mileage is great though.

A shift kit will help this, and be sure it has part-throttle kickdown. It is supposed to, but I have seen transmissions that were supposed to have PTK that didn't. If you have the money and the transmission is already getting redone, have them swap in the guts of an 81-up 904T. Four gear planetary, wide-ratio gears, lots of goodies. A few years ago I tore down a 68 318 904 and an 83 slant 904T. The 83 slant transmission had more clutches than the 318 904 and a four gear planetary gearset like the 318 904 did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Reed,

Got the tranny back from ABC and it's running smooth as silk. It turns out the guy lied that I originally bought it from and it is not a lock-up. So I am happy about that!
It sure is nice to have the car back after two weeks......of with drawls.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG