Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 2334 Next
 Post subject: Pics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:01 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I see the second photo did not post with the first so here is a close up of the coil and module..thankshttp://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/user/namercur/media/HEI_zps95a4b25e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:55 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
When your in Photobucket looking at your pic, look at the right menu box called image links. Near the bottom of that box you will see a link named IMG code. Click on that code and it should say copied and change colour. Now, go to your post reply here (\6 forum) and right click in the reply box. Choose paste from the menu. The code from photobucket will now be pasted in your reply and the picture should appear in the post when you submit the reply.

Oh, nice job by the way!

Post subject: hei
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Hi valiant effort, that is one very nice and clean looking coil bracket you have. It is difficult to see in the photo, but is the coil bracket and heat sink in one piece? Can you please supply a source, P/N and price for the bracket?

Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
olafla wrote:
Hi valiant effort, that is one very nice and clean looking coil bracket you have. It is difficult to see in the photo, but is the coil bracket and heat sink in one piece? Can you please supply a source, P/N and price for the bracket?

Olaf

Yes, it's much nicer than my bracket!
I know it's not a slant, but the HEI module is the best addition to my Mopar yet. Yes, that is the heatsink off of an orange box pictured below.

78 NYB (gone now), two S series, three old Snow Cruisers and a Doo.

Post subject: Bracket...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:15 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi Olaf,

The bracket was from a mid ninetys crown vic i think. I simply slipped a piece of aluminum angle under that bracket, machined it a little and matched the holes..then placed the screws right through both pieces into the fender..quick and easy..painted the bracket to match the bare aluminum and it all looks like one piece. The angle even raises the one side a little which makes the bracket appear more square to the fender..things like not square really bother me *L...anyway if you want i can take more detailed pics...thanks..Mark

Post subject: photobucket
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:40 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Matt,

Thanks for the tip on photobucket..worked great :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:14 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I am using the coil/module/heat sink/bracket combo and the plug only has 3 wires running off the coil pigtail, are there any diagrams for this or can someone color guide me. I saw on the original that Dan tells what the leads go to but there are no markings of "A B C" in cordination with the wiring. Thanks. dean

Post subject: timing is inconsistant
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:49 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I am running a 7 wire HEI module, with relay, msd blaster 2 coil, giant heat sink, and lean burn distributor on a megasquirt. I have been driving it this way for about two months and overall I am happy. I have noticed that when i set my base timing with the module running like it is a 4 wire that my firing is back and forth across about a 5 deg window. When I hook up the computer control I still have the same problem. I have a brand new timing chain and gears and everything seems tight. The lean burn distributor has no slop in it, although it is a "rebuilt" one from a parts store. The module is very well grounded as my 1lb heat sink is a big 1/2 inch thick aluminum plate that I drilled and tapped to run all my extra ground wires to.
So what kinds of things could be causing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:30 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Have you set the reluctor gap?
IIRC it is .008, use a non magnetic feeler.

78 NYB (gone now), two S series, three old Snow Cruisers and a Doo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:15 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'm ashamed to admit i found my problem.
it was the really cheap horrible freight timing light.
I borrowed a quality one an my timing is dead consistent.
Im adding timing light to my list of tools to not buy cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:45 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Unless you are planning on the tool being a single use item or one you really don't care about, tools are one of the things you shouldn't skimp on, if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:48 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Blackdog wrote:
HEI experience
I did the HEI conversion last week with only a couple of glitches. I had found a coil/heat sink/bracket in the wrecking yard which looked like the one shown in the low cost approach message. The bracket had the same number. It was slightly different in that the coil was smaller and instead of having the male, spark plug type connection it had a different type of female connection which takes a smaller connector end on the main wire. It looks like a regular female coil connection but inside there is a rod sticking up in the center and the correct wire fits tightly onto that interior rod. Of course I had the whole thing mounted and wired up before I figured this out.

My mechanic friend has a couple of these coil/module/heatsink/bracket assemblies like the one described by Blackdog sitting on his shelf (he doesn't remember what specific vehicles they came out of). I can take a picture tomorrow if need be.

I'd like to know if this sort of coil with the female connector can be used. If so, where would I get a coil-to-Mopar distributor cap wire? In my case it would need to be fairly long, because I'd mount the coil/module/heatsink/bracket assembly on the passenger-side inner fender, which is at least a couple/few feet away from the distributor cap. I have a 318 in my car, and the distributor is at the back of the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:53 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
That coil sounds like the circa late 90's-2000's GM Vortec truck engines -4.3L V-6, 5.0/5.7L V-8 . Alot of Euro cars (as well as some Ford waste-spark coils)use that style of ignition secondary terminal. Some Bosch spark plugs have the metal (plug wire connector) "tip" that can be removed, leaving the small stud- it's that size/style.

I'd try to find a single-long spark plug wire for one of those GM trucks - say #1 or #2 cyl, then I'd cut the plug end off & carefully remove/recrimp the boot & connector from a mopar wire- dist cap end. The GM plug wires usually use the same tiny stud style connector at the dist cap as your coil terminal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
WagonsRcool wrote:
That coil sounds like the circa late 90's-2000's GM Vortec truck engines -4.3L V-6, 5.0/5.7L V-8 . Alot of Euro cars (as well as some Ford waste-spark coils)use that style of ignition secondary terminal. Some Bosch spark plugs have the metal (plug wire connector) "tip" that can be removed, leaving the small stud- it's that size/style.

I'd try to find a single-long spark plug wire for one of those GM trucks - say #1 or #2 cyl, then I'd cut the plug end off & carefully remove/recrimp the boot & connector from a mopar wire- dist cap end. The GM plug wires usually use the same tiny stud style connector at the dist cap as your coil terminal.

Thanks.

Another question:

My ballast resistor has a single wire going to the terminal on the left, and it has two wires going to the terminal on the right (one brown and one blue I think):

On the right terminal, the brown wire goes to the bulkhead connector (and then on to the ignition switch) and the blue wire goes to the positive ignition coil terminal.

The single wire on the left terminal I believe goes down to one of the field terminal tabs on the alternator, the one closest to the output stud (I am using a newer style alternator because I'm using an electronic regulator).

So the question is: should I connect the single wire on the left with the two wires on the right, thus bypassing the ballast resistor and having a full 12V available to both those circuits (i.e., ignition switch "start" and "run" circuits)?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 2334 Next