Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: A904 Transmission Filter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:36 am 
Does the A904 trans have a replaceable filter? I can find a gasket, but no filter at NAPA. I want to replace my trans fluid. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:07 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '68 V100, '68 V200, '79 Aspen, '84 D100
Go to another parts store, or ask for a 727 filter. 904 & 727 filters are the same, the new filter will come with 2 gaskets for either trans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:34 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Important: What year transmission are you working on? They are not all the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:34 am 
The trans is the original 1963 unit in a Valiant and had a 170 C.I. engine originally. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:31 pm 

Car Model:
That is why you cannot (and will not) find the correct filter at a parts store. The 1960-'63 transmissions used an external, in-line transmission fluid filter (optional accessory in '60 and '61, standard equipment in '62-'63), not a flat in-pan filter such as the 1964-up transmissions used. If your car is so equipped, you will find the black, canister-shaped filter clamped to the engine block right at the level of the oil pan rail, below and ahead of the starter motor.

A replacement for this canister-type filter can be had (while supplies last, which won't be long) from Pat Blais, tflitepatty@verizon.net . If you want to change to the in-pan filter, which is much more readily available, you will need the following:

•A 1964-1965 transmission filter (NOT THE SAME as the more common '66-up filter!) Availability data on the '64-'65 filter is Here

•A 1964-up transmission pan or a brand-new pan. Nice new pans with unwarped rails can be had from the dealer under p/n 52118 779AB, and they even include a spiffy magnet to catch metallic shavings. Whether you go that route or install a used '64-up pan, save yourself a bunch of current and future hassle: Discard the floppy cork or rubber pan gasket that comes with the filter kit. Instead, from the Chrysler dealer get the really nice double-seal, reusable rigid pan gasket P/N 4295 875AC.

The reason why you need to change the pan is that when they changed to the in-pan Dacron filter for '64, they put a circular depression in the pan to provide sufficient clearance between the pan and the Dacron filter, which is thicker than the '63 and earlier pickup screen. This is why my '62 has "dropout" problems when cold (Dacron filter w/'62 pan); I really need to fix it 'cause it's not good to starve the pump for fluid.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:08 am 
That makes perfect sense Dan. The same canister that I fought with for an hour to get clamped back to the trans support bracket and ended up using a big tie-wrap. Duh! The original trans pan looks like it has a boss for a drain plug. My gasket comes in today from NAPA. I've only had this car since December and it sat for years before that so just to get some new fluid in it, I think I'll go the quick route for now AND order the canister filter. I will come back and take your advice on the Dakota pan, good gasket, and 64-65 filter after I get through some of the other pending issues. Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:53 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
The original trans pan looks like it has a boss for a drain plug.
They all do, yeah...drain plugs were factory equipment through early '63.
Quote:
I've only had this car since December and it sat for years before that so just to get some new fluid in it, I think I'll go the quick route for now AND order the canister filter. I will come back and take your advice on the Dakota pan, good gasket, and 64-65 filter after I get through some of the other pending issues.
H'mm. Is the trans exhibiting any symptoms that make it a priority to put new fluid in it? Reason I ask is that those canister filters are no longer made, therefore scarce, and I'd respectfully submit it's a nice idea to leave the remaining stock for those who for whatever reason must use them (show cars that have to be as-new, etc.). You have to drop the pan anyhow to change the fluid, why not do it the good way all at once, either now or later?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:18 am 
It's nice to be nice. If Pat Blais returns my email, I will decline the canister filter. After adjusting the kick-down lever, the trans shifts fine now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:35 am 
Pat Blais returned my email and has the canister filter for $66. On his ebay site he also has the kit with a new deeper pan with drain plug, a reusable gasket, internal filter, and hardware all for $112. I think I'll go this route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:11 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1962 Valiant R Series - Australian (1961 in USA.)
Well.....I just emailed him. Hope he has some left. thanks for the info Dan.

Peter :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:38 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
What about using an engine remote oil filter adaptor inline with the hoses instead of the canister?

Then you can use easy to obtain oil filters

8)