Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 225 Color Scheme
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:39 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Dodge Dart GT - 2 door hardtop - 225 Slant 6
I am getting ready to put a newer 225 slant six into my 1964 Dodge Dart GT and before I do I would like to paint it the stock color scheme for 1964. So if anyone knows the color scheme for this engine, please share.

I am interested in this main points:

1. Valve Cover

2. Head

3. Block

4. Oil Pan (not as needed but if known it might be cool to return this to it's correct color)

Thanks again everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:18 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I'm pretty sure all of those were painted red. The closest color available now is a tractor paint that you can pick up at NAPA - I can't remember the exact name. The factory almost always painted the valve cover, head, block, intake manifold*, and oil pan the same color on slant sixes.

* I'm not sure if aluminum intake manifolds were painted. Factory exhaust manifolds are always bare metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:49 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Block, head, all tinware (valve cover, oil pan, timing cover, distributor splash shield) plus crankshaft pulley, water pump, oil pump, lower alternator bracket, dipstick tube and intake manifold were all painted red. Close current match: International-Harvester Red tractor and farm implement paint. Try to find a good brand; I've had good results with Martin-Senour (NAPA used to carry, not sure if they still do); Krylon also makes a quality paint.

Water pump pulley, upper alternator bracket, oil cap, PCV cap, engine mount brackets, air cleaner: Semigloss black (Krylon "Satin Black" works well for these).

Exhaust manifold, coil bracket, distributor, and starter nose casting: Unpainted

Starter field frame (the round part): Semigloss black

The above also applies to yellow engines in trucks, blue engines in '70-'82 passenger cars, light turquoise '69 engines, silver and metallic turquoise engines in '60-'61 cars, orange engines in South African cars, etc.; simply replace "red" by whatever colour your main engine paint is supposed to be.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:25 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Exhaust manifold...: Unpainted
While I can't really argue with you, I know that on smallblock exhaust manifolds, it would be inaccurate to say they were unpainted. Mopar painted the motors with the exhaust manifolds bolted to the motors, and while they didn't paint them, they didn't mask them off either. A fresh motor would have had plenty of paint and paint overspray on them. Problem is, the paint burned off before most anybody saw it. Just look at the conical washers and nuts holding the manifolds on, they will probably have engine color paint on them.

So, a "day 2" restoration would have an unrusted and unpainted manifold, even though it technically was painted.

My bet is that the slant 6 was the same way. The manifold got paint on it when the rest of the motor was painted (around the head and where ever the block and/or intake was too close to avoid), but probably didn't make it off the dealer's lot before it was all burned off.

IMO, a "showroom" resto would have paint overstay on the exhaust.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on trying to keep the manifold bare. Bolt it together and paint it the way the factory did (if I'm correct), and let it burn off on your first test drive. That is, unless you want a museum piece, in which case you best not even put gas in it as it would ruin the manifold paint to start it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:39 pm 
Board Sponsor

Cool, thanks everybody, now time to get back to the engine.

Post subject: engine paint....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:52 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
here is a url that can give you all the info about the paint colors and other information.
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/racing ... ant62.html

Post subject: Re: engine paint....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:01 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
here is a url that can give you all the info about the paint colors and other information.
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/racing ... ant62.html
Read with extreme prejudice; a lot of the info in that book is incorrect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:08 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I just painted my engine and parts "Chrysler Industrial Red" (part # DE1632) Dupli-Color engine paint, 500 degree paint (I got from Kragen Auto, I've also seen it at Napa). It looks good, but I haven't actually started the engine yet, so I can't make any comments for the durability.

I painted the exhaust manifold with the Dupli-Color red 1200 degree high heat paint (part # DH1608). It is more of a fire engine red, so it doesn't match exactly, but looks fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:23 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
ive used the "chrysler industrial red" on my valve cover, soon to paint the entire engine in it when i take it apart, im happy with it so far

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:02 am 
Yes, "Chrysler Industrial Red" 500 degree paint is also available at Autozone. Worked nicely on my head and valve cover. I used the "Aluminum" color for my Aluminum block, though it was red when I pulled it out of the boneyard. I used the red 1200 degree paint for the manifolds, but it's slightly darker. It worked on the intake but burned off of the exhaust manifold after a few hours of run time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:55 pm 
Board Sponsor

Ok, thanks for the tip. So it sounds like I hear a trip to the local parts store in my future, for paint.

Thanks

Post subject: paint
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:01 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I have also painted the head, oil pan, timing cover, intake manifold and valve cover the chrysler red. the block is painted a dark grey. I just left the exhaust manifold......almost everything burns off that sucker......all the rest of the pieces are painted a flat black. will take a picture of it when all is put back together.........looks good, all clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Last year I came across a '64 Dart that still had the original paint on the engine. The color was slightly orange, and I seem to remember that from the days when I had my shop. After that I found a paint at the local NAPA store that was a very close match to that original color. It is "Chevrolet Orange-Red - DE1607" from Dupli-Color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Hemi Orange comes out pretty close to the faded original paint........

8)

Post subject: Chuck's pretty close.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:57 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I painted the replacement head on my '67 Chryco-Industrial Red...and it's nothing like the orange paint under the oil encrusted grime on the timing cover, balancer, intake manifold...it's more orange.

-D.Idiot