Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 8.25" rear bearings
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:42 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Does anyone out there have a diagram of an 8.25" rear? Specifically the wheel bearings and axles? I need new rear bearings and need to know how to put everything back together once I get it apart. Anyone here ever swap the bearings in an 8 1/4?
Help please!!

Thanks,
Nat

Post subject: 8.25 rear bearing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:05 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
http://ratech.stores.yahoo.net/ch8axpa.html

this is a link to ratech and you'll see the axle bearing, there are 2 kind of axle bearings.

Will be doing same thing in a few months...Jerry

ex-88 honda rice rocket
ex-70 cuda 383

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:58 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I already have the bearings, I just need to know how to pull the axle shafts. The info I have says I need to pull the rear cover off the diff, remove the spider gears, push the shafts inwards, remove the c-clips and then pull the axle shafts. I want a diagram before I go tearing into the spider gears. The bearing question pertains to the fact the bearings I have don't have a retaining sleeve. All the pics I've seen of Chrysler rears have a retainer holding the bearing on which needs to be cut off and teh new one pressed on. The shafts are also removed via a slide-hammer on the units I've seen, so I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into. As for pulling the spider gears, anyone have any experience with that? I'd rather not bite off more than I can chew. If it's too difficult for a relative beginner, I'd rather just take it into a shop.

Thanks,
Nat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:51 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
replacing the axle wheel bearings is easy. i am not too familiar with the 8.25(even though i have one), but you can only build an axle a couple ways. i'm a mekanic, so this stuff come easy.

first, pulling the spider gears is a piece of cake. first remove the cover and rotate the carrier until you see the pin that holds the cross shaft in. remove that and the cross shaft will come out and the spider gears will STAY in. if you don't turn anything, the spiders stay put and don't come out at all. pay attention if they do come out and put the shims back where they came from. then you push the axle in and can remove the "c" clip and then slide the axle out.

now, if it's the way i think it is, remove the drum and remove the four(or five?) bolts holding the bearing retainer plate on. once the bolts are out, you can remove the axle. if its stuck, slide the drum on backwards and install a couple lug nuts to hold it on and yank on it. or carefully put a prybar on a shoe and gently pry on the hub.

the retainer(also known as a wedding ring) you were talking about is really hard to get off. either cut it, drill it, or torch it off. then you can replace the bearing and seal. just make sure you have everything on in the right order before putting the new retainer on.

all in all, this is not too hard if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. i would suggest pulling the axles and taking them to a machine shop and let them replace the bearings. the retainer is installed with a press. have fun.

zedpapa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:39 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thank you so much zedpapa! That certainly bolsters my confidence. The thing is, my bearings didn't come with a retainer. I can't even find a listing for one at Napa or the Lordco (local jobber). I wonder if they mount differently or if the part is just NFA. Anyone?

Thanks,
Nat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:15 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Don't the axel bearings on the 8 1/4 press into the axel housing, and not on the axel?
I think, you remove the axel, then the seal in the housing, then the bearing. Inspect the area, of the axel, where the bearing rides, for bad spots. Am I correct, or am I thinking of a brand "X" rear.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:21 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
See? Now that's what I expect to see since all the wheel bearings for the 8.25 rear that I can find come without a retainer. As far as pulling them out of the housing, how? And having pulled them, how do I get the new ones in? As simple as driving them in with the old bearing and a deadblow, or something I should leave to the pros?

Thanks,

Nat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:42 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Go to one of the part stores that have a tool loaner program. Get a slide hammer puller and a seal driver. You can pry the old seal out with the end of the axel, then use the slide hammer puller to remove the old bearing. I have a seal/bearing driver set. If you can't get a seal/bearing driver, use a correct size pipe nipple.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:56 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks a million! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Nat

P.S. You said "Nipple" Huh-huh-huh.....

Post subject: 8.25 bearings
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:07 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Newslanter;

not sure if this what you refering to. I bought a 8.25 axle all apart. the housing was empty except for the outer bearing shell in the axle housing. looks like a bearing minus the bearings, just the outer race. these are in the housing about 3-4 inch against a form edge to prevent the bearing from going into the axle any further. to remove this, I used a long stick about 5 foot long and stuck in the axle housing from other side, until it reaches the bearing race and just tap it out of the housing. repeat fpr the other side. From what I seen in magazines, to install new bearing, if you don't have special tools, they used a baseball bat and tap it in to the bearing stops. hope this is what you were asking....Jerry

ex-88 honda rice rocket
ex-70 cuda 383