Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:28 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
My starter is the big low torque type. I am looking for a smaller type. I think the one with the planetary gears. Will this smaller type starter (if it exists) spin the engine faster for quicker starts. Also will the Clifford headers (pn 550144) clear the stock starter or is the smaller one needed? About what dosethe starter cost?

67Cuda,FAST EZEFI,340cu,CR=10.25,RollerCam&Rocker (XR268HR,#20-810-9)(#1622-16)(EddyRPM#60779,#7576), (MSD6AL,#6425) A904, GearVendorsOD, 8 1/4,3.55:1, ClassicAir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:36 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Do a search for "mini starter". That should be what you're looking for.

VM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Mancini Dodge in Michigan had the best price. The small block starter is the same. They might not know it fits the slant as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:18 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Go to a wrecking yard and get a starter out of a '89-up Dodge truck V6 or V8. Should cost around $30 and is the same thing as the $100 "race" starters. The only thing to go out on these starters is the soloniod contacts, and there is a kit available to fix this for $13 or so and 10 minutes of your time. Or you can get a new/remanufactured one from an auto parts store. I've heard some late '90's up starters are different, so try to avoid those just to be safe.

I always laugh when I see places advertise their race starters as the greatest thing since sliced bread when they are the same dang thing as a stock mini-starter! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:08 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The starter you want can indeed be had as an inexpensive used item, from 1989 through 2001 Dodge RWD trucks and vans (plus 1989 Diplomat, Gran Fury and New Yorker Fifth Avenue) with 3.9 V6, 5.2 or 5.9 V8. Do not get a 2002 or later "no nose" starter. And beware the "new" starters widely advertised on eBay; most of them are poorly-made Chinese copies.

Old thread here.

Mods to the mini starter to gain additional header clearance Here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:54 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The starter Mancini Racing sells is precisely the starter Dan is talking about. One night about 8 years ago, I replaced 4 rebuilt starters in a row looking for one that worked. I finally gave up, and ordered a new mini starter from Mancini. It was billed as for the small block but I knew that the standard Mopar starter would interchange between slant and small block. At that time, I spent $99. Brand New! I was looking at $30-$40 for rebuilds that didn;t work. I have not had a minute's trouble with it since, and put one in the 360 as well. They sell for about $129 or so now, and are a bargain, when you consider how unreliable "rebuilt" automotive electronics can be. Not only that, it spins twice as fast. You can try Koeller Dodge up there in Michigan as well. They sell wholesale over the phone.