Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:42 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'm brand new here so bear with me if you guys already covered this. I installed a 69 318 Carter BBD onto my 1979 Super6 and it has worked great for the last 8,000 miles. It was rebuilt and the stock venturi plates with the 1/8 holes were retained. It makes 20 inches of vaccum at idle and a best of 25 mpg. The only problem was geometrical issues at the choke rod hook up I couldn't resolve with any amount of bending of the rod. Well since they were both BBD's I thought maybe the orignal 1979 Super6 choke shaft would fit into the 1969 BBD. It did perfectly, and with a new replacement choke (I'd bent the rod so much I figured it be easier to start off fresh) it works like new again. I decided to posted this FYI after I read the archived article on swapping the Super6 parts onto a 1 bbl. The article addressed this problem caused by the 318 BBD choke hook up but said to turn the rod hook up on the shaft 90 degrees I believe. But the shaft is notched so it indexs itself for proper location for the 318 choke hook up. I'm sure it could be done though. Because I was going to try that after I exhausted myself with trying to make it work were it was until I thought to try swapping shafts. If available the shaft swap makes for a no brainer trying to properly index the choke rod hook up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:29 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Thanks...thats good info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yep, a choke shaft swap is one very good way to make everything line up and work correctly.

This is another way.