Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Strange won't start
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:39 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Just tried to start my 64 valiant this morning. Turned the keyand it started to turn. Almost immediatly something went ping, the oil pressure light went out and then nothing. Tried again and the light goes on for just a second, then nothing.

Any ideas? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:43 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
I don't mean to be an ass, but you need to give us more to work on. What have you done so far other than turn the key? Battery, cables and starter in good shape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:55 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Exactly. What does "nothing" mean? No cranking? Cranking but no firing? Cranking and firing but no starting? My initial guess is that your "ping" was the ignition switch failing. Make sure the car is in Park or Neutral and the handbrake is set, then try turning the key to the "run" position, getting under the hood, and using a screwdriver to connect the two largest terminals on the starter relay. If nothing happens, use your screwdriver to connect the two terminals on the starter motor itself. The results of these tests, however they come out (engine cranks/doesn't, starts/doesn't), will give us a lot more information to help you zero in on the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:34 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Not to be unkind, but your question makes me caution you to be sure your car is in neutral and blocked or parking braked so as not to move before you jump your relay or starter. That starter has enough torque to make your car crawl over your foot easily, and if the car fires and rthen starts in gear it will keep going without you. I know, mine smashed into the garage wall one Saturday while I was listening to races and drinking beer and doing vehicle maintenance activity with friends who swore they set the parking brake (long ago).

rock
'64d100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:01 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks for the replys. I'm guilty of firing off an email without going further into it. Sorry, I was on my way to work. At noon I checked and tightened the pos cable and that was part of the problem I think. The starter now will engage but the it disengages while the key is still turned and there is a grind to it. Did the same thing with a remote starter switch Looking more like the starter. I have a spare and I'll try it tonight and try to give the full story for the future.

Thanks

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:23 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Actually...behaviour like that suggests one or more bad battery cables, to me.