Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1020 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:41 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Doug, thanks for the reply. I suppose I can wait a little longer. When it looks like they will grind what you have come up with, I'll jump in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Well what a PLEASANT surprise!

Very nice chat with Tom McGibbon and I got the cam, lifters, springs and retainers. Ordered the one spec'd in DD's note (470000) which Tom concurs is about all you want in a mildly built street engine like mine. As others note Tom is very nice to talk with and does indeed know what he is talking about. I can hardly wait to feel this baby pull in mid rpm range! Tom speculates shipping soon, not an endless wait. Menko, DD and all, thanks guys! We won't see this again!

and old-VC, try this email, changed to prevent crawlers from picking it up:

tmcgibbon at engine parts ware house. net

In other words to use the email stick the parts back together and use the right "at".

rock
64d100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:23 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
The 244 MP "clone" cam has been named RV10M-212/.295
Here are the Specs

The next step up has been named RV15M-212/.295
I posted that grind above.
Tom said that the master is being made this week and they will be ready to grind next week.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:31 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1962 Lancer 770
Doug, thanks for making some real alternatives to a stock cam available. I hope that we finally have a good price *and* good selection on cams from mild to race.

Thanks to Rock for posting Tom's new email address. I would still encourage people to try him by phone vs. email, just because I'm not sure how often he gets to email.

MJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:52 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I just got off the phone with Tom. I ordered the new Dutra designed RV15m-212/.295 with 110 degree lobe centers. I got the springs and retainers as well. The specs sound close to the 340 springs with a little more pressure on the seat. 120lbs @1.680", 290lbs @1.180", .500" max lift, 340lb inch rate and 1.430" diameter. He expects to ship as soon as next week and told me they shipped out about 25 slant cams so far and 8 today. Really nice to see this kind of progress. Thanks again to everyone involved in making this happen. Just being able to get what you want is nice but for a great price with great service is almost unheard of these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:21 pm 
Turbo EFI

You are quite welcome! As these things tend to, it has grown far bigger than we first expected, but I am happy to report my cam and Lou's arrived this week ready to go. Its great to have a company so willing to help the "little" people out and give us good service to boot =) Like you said, its a rare commodity, and I am happy to buy from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
NewLancerMan,

What grind did you end up going with? I think you were looking along the same lines as I was. Maybe you mentioned it before but I didn't catch it. What gears are you running as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

similar to dougs, but with slightly more duration on a tighter lobe center. It may end up being a bit unruly, so I also ordered one of Doug's designs as well in case I am unhappy with it.

As for gears, I currently have 3.23s behind a 904, but am converting to a 5 speed so my new gears will likely be 3.80s or 3.91s

MJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:36 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Well a manual trans and gears in the high three range can definitely run more cam than my setup will take. I would not give up on the larger cam until I had tried really dialing everything in. On v-8s with a choppy idle I always found an advance curve that is tighter than what most people would run to work best. Like 14 degrees initial, no advance until about 1800 or 2000 and all in by 2800 to 3000. It made for a stable idle and off idle response when releasing the clutch. The higher initial helps the idle, the slower advance keeps it from falling on it's face at part throttle. At full throttle the tires will be spinning or you will get to 3000 rpm pretty quickly anyway and stay above it with each shift so the slower curve only helps. A 1/2" or 1" spacer with holes to match the carb helps some too on the bottom if you have room for it by helping the carb mix the air and fuel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
When I talked to Tom last he suggested that there were more grind variations in the works based on DD's input. I was hoping for a Reverse pattern for the Stroker.
Doc?
Any suggestions for my new mill? Think toy, not commuter.

:D

CJ
Refresh:
4.440 x 3.485
600 CFM 4bbl on my offy
2x new casting Dutra Duals..
3.23's
Idle Quality Desired: Rotten. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:34 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
I am working on this.
The longer stroke changes a few numbers so I need to do some digging for the worksheets I have on the strokers I have built, that is, unless you have your head flow and piston speed data handy. :wink:

I would rethink the "lumpy idle" goal. The advantage of a long stroke engine is low end power. It would be best to use a milder cam that produces a lot of torque and a flat power band, off-idle and up to 5,000 RPM.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:03 pm 
Turbo EFI

Quote:
On v-8s with a choppy idle I always found an advance curve that is tighter than what most people would run to work best. Like 14 degrees initial, no advance until about 1800 or 2000 and all in by 2800 to 3000. It made for a stable idle and off idle response when releasing the clutch. The higher initial helps the idle, the slower advance keeps it from falling on it's face at part throttle. At full throttle the tires will be spinning or you will get to 3000 rpm pretty quickly anyway and stay above it with each shift so the slower curve only helps. A 1/2" or 1" spacer with holes to match the carb helps some too on the bottom if you have room for it by helping the carb mix the air and fuel better.
Thanks for the hints, I do appreciate it! I will see what I have once the other drivetrain stuff is complete, and then tackle the cam. It'll be good times =)

MJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Thanks Doug!
The lumpy idle thing was just that I don't mind a rough idle, not that I need the car to shake or anything. :)

I need to call the machine shop and see where we are. When the crank is back and we have the pistons, we're going to mock the engine up to see where it decks out. I've got a long way to go. I'll use the head the DusterIdiot massaged for me, and he had valves selected for his long rod that I want to go with.

Standing by. No major rush. My machine shop is still flowing as Molasses might in January.... Where Dan lives. :shock:

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:12 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Just a little heads up........I got me a package today, and the return address was Erson cams. :D :D 8)

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:32 pm 
Turbo EFI

Patience is a virtue Roger! Thanks for your support in this whole deal!

MJ

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1020 Next