Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:21 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
hey folks, been awhile.

gearing up for spring and getting ready to install and tweak my new dutra dual and super six setup. im looking to get my exhaust system built within the next week or so. ive spent hours searching the archives looking at exhaust system threads and havent really gotten any solid ideas.

so far im thinking 303 stainless, 2&1/4" all the way back to the trunk extensions, then a magnaflow or flowmaster 40 series muffler and a year one oem style 2&1/2" square tip on each tailpipe. does this sound wise? yes, im looking for a nice idle rumble, and a loud rapp on acceleration, i want the car to sound mean. the highway drone, not so much, but i do have a heavy foot on the highway, i tend to cruise around 80-85. so i dont imagine the drone will be much of a factor, and even if it was, it doesnt seem to bother me. also, i am aware that increasing the tailpipe size will reduce velocity, but i want the GT look and im hoping that the short distance from the muffler tucked under the wheelwell will afford me some forgiveness.

who has used the magnaflow or flowmaster longterm and can comment on its reliability? who has the same setup as me and has found that nice combination of sound and performance? should i reconsider my pipe sizes? placing of components? what about a balance pipe or U pipe? anything important i need to tell the shop about pipe placement? what about hangers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:50 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
If you're really interested in "loud", this setup you describe will fit the bill. Ask Newlancerman how much he likes the setup on his car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:00 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
2 1/4" off the Dutras to a Y pipe.Single 2 1/4" to a original 2 chamber 40 series Flowmaster.Single 2 1/4" off the Flowmaster to the back with a nice turndown. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:07 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
If you're really interested in "loud", this setup you describe will fit the bill. Ask Newlancerman how much he likes the setup on his car...
i caught that. :lol: i did lose the exhaust right at the header last night on the way to port huron so anythings an improvement!

just a touch too loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:07 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
hrm.

part number DCE480P, 1&5/8" ID. maybe i can use a smaller outlet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:00 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
There are a few muffler shops that install stainless steel exhaust systems in southern Ontario but most install T409 SS. The only one that also installs T304 is Elite Stainless Exhaust in Brantford. I don't know of anyone who does T303 exhaust systems.

Elite also manufactures their own line of stainless steel mufflers and they can customize the inlet and outlet tubes, as well as the sound level to whatever you need. I had a them install a few systems for me already and I've been happy with their work every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:29 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
hrm.

part number DCE480P, 1&5/8" ID. maybe i can use a smaller outlet.

ugh. just checked, 3 to 4 weeks delivery. [X][X][X]

Hey Frank, I think it is actually 304 that i was thinking of, but how bad is 409 in comparison? Im in a pinch for time and will probably have to get a local shop to do it.
Quote:
Elite also manufactures their own line of stainless steel mufflers and they can customize the inlet and outlet tubes, as well as the sound level to whatever you need.
whoa.... now thats what im looking for. i think ill go cheap this time and take it to them when im not so pressed for time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:58 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
T409 is a ferritic grade of stainless steel that contains just enough Chromium to qualify as SS and will form red rust within a year of driving in a salt environment. T304 is an austenitic grade of SS that is the same type of stainless steel used in cutlery and is very difficult to corrode.

Brantford isn't that far away from Hamilton. I would call Elite SS at 519-752-9719 and ask them for a quote. I don't think T304 is that much more expensive than T409. Not only that, their all-stainless mufflers are competitively priced with brand name mufflers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:25 pm 

Car Model:
I'll second that recommendation for Elite Stainless; they do nice work. There's even a Dart (maybe a Scamp?) on their page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:09 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Thanks for the recommendation guys, I will definitely take the car to them this fall when my other vehicle is up and running.

In the meantime I had A&A in Hamilton run a cheap steel exhaust with dual Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, the fit and finish is surprisingly good considering the low price point and that they had it out the door in less than a day. some pictures, excuse the mess. i had to take it out for a good run.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/ ... ure091.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/ ... ure092.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/ ... ure093.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/ ... ure094.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/ ... ure095.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/ ... ure096.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/ ... ure097.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/ ... ure098.jpg

the balance pipe is just behind the trans tailstock and is 2", all pipe is 2&1/4" to the muffler inlet and 2" thereafter. The idle note is exquisite, sounds very much like a V8 with glasspacks, but at full throttle through the full RPM range the tone and volume of the exhaust varies wildly with peak blast sounding more like a Cavalier Z24 or a Lumina Euro than i would like. as has been mentioned often on this topic, there is a narrow band between say 1500-2500 that the buzz and loudness is at its peak and drops off sharply before and after. I would like to try blocking the balance pipe before i give up on it. it would be interesting to note the seat of the pants difference there as the car is quite noticeably faster now. i would certainly like to get the sound level a bit more consistent through the RPM range, and as my instincts were telling me, just choosing components off the shelf and slapping them together just isnt going to work if you want the exhaust to sound good, you need someone willing to take the time to tune the exhaust, get the pipe lengths right and choose the best mufflers. and dont expect such results in a hurry!

i will post a similar report when i get the exhaust done properly this fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:32 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
anybody know what their hours are? i was going to pay them a visit today but their hours arent listed on the site, their yellow pages ad or their answering machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:13 am 

Car Model:
H'mm. Don't know Elite's hours. The pipework on that steel system does look very acceptable, despite the low price (there is no such thing as a "price point", despite MBAs using that phrase to make it sound like they know something you don't).

I'll be interested to learn what you wind up with for mufflers and/or resonators in the end.