Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:54 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1963 Plymouth Valiant
Hey guys,

I was putting back together the front end of my Swinger tonight, and noticed a real show-stopper: the passenger side torsion bar socker in the crossmember had cracked and had been welded back together!! There is a lot of slop with the bar in there; i can turn it like 5-10 degrees with everything in place and bolted down. The weld was caked under dirt, so I didn't see it until I started cleaning up under there for re-assembly. :(

So I figure that my options are 1) Strip out all the parts that are worth saving and junk the car, 2) find a complete crossmember with good sockets, cut mine out and weld it into place, or 3) do the Alter-K-Tion.

Give what I want to do with the car, the alter-k-tion is pretty much out. Don't really want to spend that much on it...

Any clever thoughts on how to repair this, or am I going to be better off scrapping it? I started the same thread over on bigblockdart.com, also; I put a pic up there if you all care to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I believe "they" sell a new cross member for your very problem. Not sure where I saw it though.

67Cuda,FAST EZEFI,340cu,CR=10.25,RollerCam&Rocker (XR268HR,#20-810-9)(#1622-16)(EddyRPM#60779,#7576), (MSD6AL,#6425) A904, GearVendorsOD, 8 1/4,3.55:1, ClassicAir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:16 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
http://www.autorust.com/k_1.html

67Cuda,FAST EZEFI,340cu,CR=10.25,RollerCam&Rocker (XR268HR,#20-810-9)(#1622-16)(EddyRPM#60779,#7576), (MSD6AL,#6425) A904, GearVendorsOD, 8 1/4,3.55:1, ClassicAir

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
have done this on two mopars. call auto rust technicians in rhode island. they are listed in mopar collectors guide magazine. also rust doctors in toms river new jersey has the parts. bf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:44 pm 
TBI Slant 6

According to Auto Rust Technicians site, you have to re-use the socket, which I can't do. It's cracked and welded, so it's ruined and not re-usable. The cross member appears to be fine. But it does beg the question: How did the socket get cracked? :b This is the first time I've ever seen that.

I'll give AutoRust a call and see if they have the sockets, though. That'd sure be nice.

When you did the repairs, bob, was the socket the t-bar goes into included with what you ordered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:39 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
Just go to a salvage yard and get a used one. There are literally millions of the out there.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject: torsion bar socket
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:11 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
yards might be a good source. unfortunately most i have seen have already squashed up pre 77 a bodies. when i did this the socket wasnt cracked which i never saw one like that, but was rounded inside . you should call auto rust tech in rhode island and see if they have an accommodation. i replaced the socket with a thick plate which had the hex points to grasp the t- bar end. auto rust doctor in toms river nj had the part and installed it for me years ago in a duster which i stillhave, no problem. regards bf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:40 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Just a follow up... I got a good socket from a kind fellow over on BigBlockDart.com, so I should be able to start the repair in a weekend or two. I may go ahead and use the AutoRust crossmember repair piece, too, depending on how bad I maul mine getting the old socket out...

Thanks guys.