Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:55 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Doc,

Couple of PICs of an early 60s rail called the "Dragmaster Dart" over @ .com. Can you tell us anything about it (who built it, drove it, when, where, class raced in, ETs and speeds)? Hilborn inducted slant. The mag PICs were in doesn't really give any particulars. Figured if anybody around here would be familiar with it, it would be you. Thanks.

Thread:

http://www.slantsix.com/UBB/Forum16/HTML/006367.html

---Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:04 am 
Guru

Car Model:
I do have some information on that little rail. I will have to dig all the stuff out so I'll let you know what I find.

Does anyone else have any photos or info on this digger??
DD

Post subject: Dragmasters
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Just happen to have an Old issue of "High Performance Mopar" Sept. 1997
On page 20 is a picture of the Dragmaster Slant 6 rail. It says that it ran in the 10's at around 130 MPH. It was run by Dode Martin and Jim Nelson, owners of the Dragmaster Co. Now I know why I keep old magazines forever !!

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:00 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Rick, can you get a scan of that pic?
I found a good amount of info. on this rail, including some build-up information.
Did your know that the engine used was an aluminum block Slant? :shock:
I will try to put together a web page on this "digger" so please forward any good pics or info you may have.
DD

Post subject: Scan
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:49 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Doug
I'll try to get you a scan . It's only a black and white though.

Rick

Post subject: another digger...
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
...not slants, but they ARE straight sixes...YOW :shock: !

http://www.gassermadness.com/mm2k2/rb/S ... _03-02.jpg

http://www.myhraphoto.com/Pages/drag_bako2_09.html

7.245 @ 153.50 mph.

---Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:02 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I know this post was from 2003 but I just found it durring a Google search. I was the original poster of the thread over on slantsix.com and I have found the article on the car that my dad helped out with in a issue of Northwest Rod news from October of 1963. I scanned the article and posted it on my photobucket page so there wont be any copyright issues if I posted it here.
If anyone has any info on this Hilborn set up or it's whereabouts I would love to know. From what I was told it was the only one that was made and it was made for the Dragmaster rail. The last time the car was seen it was sitting in someones yard off of Hwy 18 in Federal Way, Washington. The team my dad was on sold the car to a Auburn, WA sheriffs deputy and then lost track of it.

here is the link to the pics. They aren't that great , they are scans of copies of a 1963 black and white magazine.

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/ ... ant%20six/

www.forabodiesonly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:42 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I talked to my dad again and had him write down what he could remember about the car.

www.forabodiesonly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:33 am 
Guru

Car Model:
The Hilborn FI set-up was a "one off" deal but the people at Hilborn have it pretty well documented.
A number of years back, Dave M and myself tried to get this set-up re-made, I actually visited Hilborn's shop to discuss the details. (search the messages for Hilborn)
The short story, Hilborn no longer has the casting patterns and core box used to make this manifold. The cost to remake the casting equipment today is a "deal buster".

Dave (and others) have made FI set-ups but the manifold ends-up being a fabricated piece.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:46 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Do you know of the whereabouts of the original Hilborn set up that was for the Dragmaster?

www.forabodiesonly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:15 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
I think Wilford Day ended-up with it.
He got the engine from the Dragmaster team, that engine is what he used to set a number of land speed records in 1964, 65 & 66
He had to change the intake so he could run in "Production" class.
I would be surprised if he still has it today.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:39 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I emailed Hilborn for any info on this set up and this is what I got back...

"Hello,
Thanks for your inquiry. We made many slant 6 injectors back in the day
and we probably still have the original sheet for your dad's fuel
injector. The problem is, we can only research these old records by the
serial number off the injector manifold. This would be a number that
is stamped in (not cast in). If you can come up with the serial number
we can most likely send you a color photo copy of the original order."

The Sales Team
Hilborn Fuel Injection
949-360-0909

Im wonderring now how many that made? I have talked to people that say they only made one and others that say they remember a bunch of them. I was talking to Tom Willford at the Portland, OR swapmeet and he said that he would look through some old speed catalogs and see what he could come up with for me.
I found a guy that has a hilborn set up for a slant and he is going to dig it out of his garage and send me some pics and info on it.

I was sorting my Mopar magazienes and found the article that you did on Wilford Days car, Very cool!!!

www.forabodiesonly.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:47 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Slant six in the seventies from Sweden (injection).
http://race68.com/peo1.htm

Holley 600 Offy-5270 Dutra Dual,regrind. cam 272 0,420 110, head shaved 0.100 slight.ported
MSD6A
A904
7 1/4 3.23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
After looking for 12 years I have found the 56 Alfa that my dad helped crew on and the guy is willing to sell!

I had a buddy over to the house that was picking up a 324 Olds rocked shortblock from me for his Studebaker gasser and he says.... "I forgot you are into slants, I know where there is a built slant at."

me...."what, like 4bbl, headers and a cam like my truck?"

him...."no, fuel injected"

me...."Offy intake with jeep parts?"

him..." no, Hilborn"

I hold both my hands up and show him that they are shaking and say "if it is local I have been looking for that engine for 12 years!"

Forgetting that my buddy is into vintage dragsters and is over at Jerry "the king" Ruth's house all the time I never asked him about any special slants.
Turns out the owner is the uncle of a friend of his that is into road racing and Alfas. He is getting up there in years and selling his collection of road race cars. It also turns out that he wasn't a King County sheriff like my dad said in his notes, the guy worked for the city fixing the sheriff cars!

He still has the car, the engine and another slant that is "webber powered" that's all he said about the extra engine. He threw out a very reasonable price on the whole package but I was told that he would come way down in price. I am going to go look at everything next month and inspect everything before I even throw out an offer.
I am not really too interested in the 56 Alfa but depending on its condition and the price I might do some road racing with it just for fun (I have another buddy with a Triumph that takes it to SIR and they have a blast) my real plans are to build a clone of the Dragmaster Dart Six rail and not just a "cracklefest car" I want to make full passes!

I have contacted Hilborn about the intake and Carol said that she found the records for #102- #111 but nothing for #101...

"Unfortunately, I can not locate unit 101. I have found 102-111, all sold between 1968-1973. Sometimes the very first casting in a new product can be made as "on loan" for testing or research. Possibly this is the case and can be one reason why I can't find #101 in our archives.

Looking at the photos on jalopy journal it almost looks like I can see the casting number stamped next to the metering valve. To me it looks like it may be casting #107, originally old to Cornelison Speed Automotive in Creston, IA in Dec 1969. Let me know if you want the information on #107."

My dad said that one of the guys on the crew was friends with one of the guys on the Dragmaster team, they did some trading and ended up with the injection unit.
There was also an article in an old magazine that ran for 4 issues called "North West Rods" and they did a full wright up on the car and said that the "weird looking carbs were actually the same Hilborn unit that was off the dragmaster dart"

Now I always thought that my dad was feeding me a line of car guy BS about the injection unit being THE same one off the Dragmaster Dart Six but it is sounding like maybe he was right about it for once!

I am also trying to get ahold of Dode Martin or anyone else that was on the Dragmaster team at the time so I can get any and all info about the rail and the car. I do know of a few original dragmaster frames but it is cheaper and easier to just build a new dragmaster frame with the double head bar and anything else needed to pass tech.

These are pics I got years ago from either a member on here or off the old .com site. I believe this unit is #107.

At 2:23 you can see it running...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpyAiXPlgBQ

If anyone here has ANY pics, info, video, anything of the Dragmaster Dart Six rail please post it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:54 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Great history!

That's a beautiful looking piece, hope you're able to "bring it back into the family"!

Wow: I had completely forgotten about starting this thread. Oh well, it WAS awhile back!