Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:07 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
FINE!! my mechanic (who kept me alive for eight years travelling somewhere around 300miles per week, changing brakes, front end parts ect.) doesn't know what he's doing and i'm an idiot. just one question: if these air shocks are so deadly, WHY ARE THEY SOLD FOR THESE VEHICLES??? strange no one else has ever mentioned this danger until now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:50 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Slowww down.

I'm not sure that it's right to label air shocks "deadly". Seems like everyone had them in the late 1970s, to give that hi-rear profile that was so popular... which in retrospect was probably the worse thing we could ever do for handling!

But they are a rather poor solution to a problem... in fact they mask a symptom, without solving the problem.

Bad springs are bad springs. Save the air shock $$$ and replace the springs. Then replace the shocks, preferably with a good set of gas charged shocks, like KYB. In that manner you will end up a car which handles better than it did from the factory. Better handling and good tire contact under all conditions can indeed make a car safer to drive.

Air shocks also leak. Slowly at first, but eventually you'll be pumping them up quite often. A pain to say the least.

Take the time and the spend the money, to do the work correctly in the first place. You'll be glad you did.

-Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:19 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
just one question: if these air shocks are so deadly, WHY ARE THEY SOLD FOR THESE VEHICLES??? strange no one else has ever mentioned this danger until now.
Many things are sold, that have no redeeming value.

This has been mentioned many times before. If you wil use the search function, many threads will turn up.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:40 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Bren,

I have run air shocks on 3 different A bodies for a combined total of about 150k miles with NO ill effects. The ride is harsher with a lot of air in them, but otherwise fine. I used them mainly to control heavy loads or jack up the rear a little sometimes.

Occasionally, you see an Abody have one of the shock mounts become loose on the inside of the trunk, and that is when the airshocks will destroy the mounts. As long as there's no rust or looseness, you should be fine.

That said, a new set of springs is better than air shocks... :o

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:15 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
FINE!! my mechanic (who kept me alive for eight years travelling somewhere around 300miles per week, changing brakes, front end parts ect.) doesn't know what he's doing and i'm an idiot.
Do whatever foolish things you want with your own vehicles, within the bounds of what you can get away with in your province and whatever your conscience allows in terms of exposing others to needless risk. But advising people from a position of ignorance is unhelpful and irresponsible, and that's what you did. I'm asking you to please stop doing it, is all.
Quote:
if these air shocks are so deadly, WHY ARE THEY SOLD
Cigarettes are deadly, and they sell those. What's your point? There's a lot of deadly stuff on the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:09 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Would adding air shocks to the rear of my 64 wagon for the times I have a heavy load be unsafe or cause undue strian to the upper shock mounts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:39 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Would adding air shocks to the rear of my 64 wagon for the times I have a heavy load be unsafe or cause undue strian to the upper shock mounts?
"Helper springs" would be easier, less costly, and much safer.