Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:52 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
H'mm. Let me float this idea, which got lost early in the backwash with the PowerPipe idiocy: Instead of copying a product that's already available, how about offering something truly new, a tubular block-hugger header closely modelled on the mid-'90s Jeep 4.0 inline Six item, which is available with or without crack-preventive expansion joints:

Seems to me such a block-hugger setup would clear just about any body and any intake setup, leave lots of room for power steering and whatnot without the usual hassle of trying to make headers fit, have the flange junction raised up off the ground to eliminate the ground clearance problem. And, while I'm not a pipefitter, it doesn't look to me as if any of the bends would be terribly complicated to make. Seems like an off-the-shelf slant-6 header flange plate (I think this plate exists...doesn't it?), together with some high-grade piping skillfully welded, could result in a unique and beneficial new header for the \6. Could even weld a sheetmetal bracket to the #5 pipe to support the electric automatic choke for maximum street compatibility. No intake manifold heat, but this type of header would leave ample room under the intake for a bolt-on water hotbox, which is an off-the-shelf product via Frank Raso.

Whatchya think?
Hmm, I like a lot. Gives us some creative ideas to play with this summer. We have the header flange and happen to know a good pipe and tubing guy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
H'mm. Let me float this idea, which got lost early in the backwash with the PowerPipe idiocy: Instead of copying a product that's already available, how about offering something truly new, a tubular block-hugger header closely modelled on the mid-'90s Jeep 4.0 inline Six item, which is available with or without crack-preventive expansion joints:

Seems to me such a block-hugger setup would clear just about any body and any intake setup, leave lots of room for power steering and whatnot without the usual hassle of trying to make headers fit, have the flange junction raised up off the ground to eliminate the ground clearance problem. And, while I'm not a pipefitter, it doesn't look to me as if any of the bends would be terribly complicated to make. Seems like an off-the-shelf slant-6 header flange plate (I think this plate exists...doesn't it?), together with some high-grade piping skillfully welded, could result in a unique and beneficial new header for the \6. Could even weld a sheetmetal bracket to the #5 pipe to support the electric automatic choke for maximum street compatibility. No intake manifold heat, but this type of header would leave ample room under the intake for a bolt-on water hotbox, which is an off-the-shelf product via Frank Raso.

Whatchya think?
Now THAT'S a good idea! I'm going to follow this very closely now.

Slantzilla, any idea of what collector size you're going for, if you configure it for a single exhaust?

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
i like the way this is going but i dont have early A body :(

Jopapa,
will have to keep us updated on what car that header goes into, if yall do it in the summer. if it can work with my duster i may get one from you if possible.

a side question, from my reading about my 03 dak. i keep seeing that if you want torque you need back pressure. by making the exhaust less restrictive doesnt that mean then less torque?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:17 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Ok I know necro posting is a faux pas but what happened to this idea? I'm trying to find out what options i have. I know everybody loves Dutra duals. Yes, they are awesome. Yes, Doug is a nice guy. I like to support nice guys. But, I am also after the sex appeal of real headers. I admit it, I'm a shallow person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Oh, brother. If you're rejecting good parts for your car becuase they lack sex appeal, you need a girlfriend or a boyfriend as applicable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:08 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Oh, brother. If you're rejecting good parts for your car becuase they lack sex appeal, you need a girlfriend or a boyfriend as applicable.
:lol: +1 :lol:

But seriously, talking to the community it(dutra duals) seems more cost efficient and cleaner. And it helps a fellow slanter put a couple bucks in his back pocket. :wink:

My .02 cents
Seth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:05 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Jeez Dan! I always love reading your posts because you call 'em like you see 'em. I guess my love life needed that extra nudge. LOL. Commentary on my vie d'amour aside, your advice is gold.
So, to be clear, I'm not turning anything down. Nobody is giving me anything for free although I'm open to that! I'm just looking at options. I'm sure I'll end up going with the Dutra duals.
With cars I am always balancing the opinion of my inner 14 year old and my outer 42 year old. One wants grandapa munster's coffin car and the other wants dependable and easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:33 am 
Guru

Car Model:
You can always use Dual Dutra Duals and have them coated...
A pair of those looks pretty nice.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:41 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
With cars I am always balancing the opinion of my inner 14 year old and my outer 42 year old. One wants grandapa munster's coffin car and the other wants dependable and easy.
Okeh, story time:

The old bull and the young bull were standing at the top of the hill overlooking a paddock of many gorgeous young heifers. The young bull said, "Let's charge down the hill, knock over that fence and service one of those heifers each!".

The old bull replied, "Let's walk down the hill, open the gate, take a sip at the water trough, and then service all of those heifers."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:06 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
A good set of near universal fit block-hugger type headers would be nice. I am going to be converting my brother's Duster and van to fuel injection and will be abandoning the stock exhaust manifold to get rid of the intake manifold heating provision. I will, therefore, have to run headers, a rear Dutra manifold, or cut the "tower" off of a stock exhaust manifold and get the opening brazed up.

Getting a Dutra manifold will likely cost the same as getting the stock manifold cut and brazed. Headers would be nice, especially long tube headers that would fit a van. However, a more universal style header applicable to as many different body styles as possible would probably offer the most return on investment due to a wider market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Doc, those are down right pretty. I feel pretty confident that is the direction I'm going to go... it satisfies both of my bulls.

Dan, I'm developing a "bro crush" on you. I'm usually the one telling that story on job sites. It's up there with "Q. You know what's faster than a super charged rocket car? A.Knowing where the hell you're going."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:31 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Doc, those are down right pretty. I feel pretty confident that is the direction I'm going to go it satisfies both of my bulls.
With DDDs no intake manifold heat and no automatic choke, though. DDs retain both of those provisions.
Quote:
Dan, I'm developing a "bro crush" on you. I'm usually the one telling that story on job sites. It's up there with "Q. You know what's faster than a super charged rocket car? A.Knowing where the hell you're going."
Ha! (if you want to read more of my babbling, search Story Uncle Dan on here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:08 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks Uncle Dan, I will hunt up your stories.
I'm kinda fond of manual choke anyhow. Isn't there a intake manifold heater that works by routing radiator fluid? I thought I saw mention of it somewhere. I am not using the correct term so my search yielded nada. I assume a more standard DD set up could be polished, plated or something in order to satisfy my inner magpie (my innerds are getting crowded, huh?). I feel I have reiturate, I'm just collecting daydream material before I make any decisions. I busily undoing 30 years of abuse and neglect with my lovely old wagon. There is no shortage of thing that need to be done as opposed to things I want to do. I am not in any big hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:41 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
The problem with a "universal" design is it really doesn't provide much benefit to every user equally. Some will have greater gains because their engines are going to be more stock and it is big jump over a factory exhaust manifold, while others with more mods and a higher HP level wont get as much gain because they need a truly performance designed header. With so many design options out there today in header designs, there is really no way to make a "universal" header that accomodates all users equally. You have "step" header, merge collector, 1-1/2", 1-5/8", 1-3/4" and 1-7/8" primary tube, shorty headers, long tube, venturi collectors and on and on. Then you have guys with forced induction(turbos and/or nitrous) that will also have different needs in a header. I think a one size fits all header is going to have a really slim target market once the potential buyer starts evaluating all these parameters for his individual needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:14 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
since this has been brought up and all, can i just share that i have been trying to get hold of anyone who can sell me a set of dutra duals to australia.

i've tried messaging doug, but he may be thinking it's spam.
hell no!!!
i'm a real Valiant-driving Aussie male who wants to rock a set of dutra's.

can anyone (uncle dan?) help me out getting with in touch with the dutra global sales and marketing division?
(which i guess is doug?)

regards,
Chris.

The Wayfarers

six 'n out