Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:10 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hey All,

I am in the planning stage of getting my a/c together for this coming summer. Dan has already given me MUCHO good info on the 134 upgrade. I intend to replace all the lines and the compressor seal as a bare minimum. I don't know if the evaporator is good either, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I REALLY want to relocate the low pressure line b/c it makes the VC impossible to get off! Below are some of my routing ideas. Does it matter how long the low pressure line is? Can I get rid of the muffler? What in the heck does the muffler do?

Am I thinking redundantly here? Are there companies already making the lines I have in mind?

I think the routing in the first pic would be the cleanest and the most "out of the way" routing.

Thanks!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:57 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
OK I'm not the expert here, but. I have taken the rear air unit from a Maxi-Van, and the lines for this A/C must have been 18 feet long. This is the old top of the line van used as an Airport Shuttle. If the lines work over that distance, I would guess do whatever works best for your engine compartment, and don't worry about it.

60 Valiant wagon, 225
87 Maxi-Van, 318 4spd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
It doesn't matter how long the low-side line is. Your first or second option is probably best; the third one will make belt, water pump, and radiator replacement a nuisance. All of this will be custom work — no prefab available. This may present challenges in getting metal ends that will serve all your needs (e.g. the tunnel in the firewall-end fitting for the expansion valve sense tube).

The other option is to keep the present routing, but have the hose re-made (rehosed) without the suction muffler -- which is what's getting in the way of removing the valve cover -- or with the muffler relocated to the rearward run of the line. The suction muffler isn't nearly so important in keeping the A/C system quiet as the discharge muffler is. I've had a couple of A-bodies with the factory routing but w/o suction muffler, and removing the valve cover isn't at all difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
Don't worry too much about it being "custom". An AC shop should be able to reuse your fittings. New fittings for flare and O-ring connections are also available.
Some of the parts stores have the crimping tools and will do that for you, if you bring new fittings and pre-cut hoses. Some may rent the tools, as well.

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO