Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: New 5-leaf Springs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:34 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I ordered new 5-leaf springs from "springsnthings" (ESPO) as well as u-bolts and shackles. My original springs are 4-leaf but they don't make those and they say the 5-leaf will fit. I'm getting them because I'm holding the rear of the car up now with air shocks and I know that isn't a permanent solution. I haven't done this job before but it certainly looks do-able.

Is there anything I should be aware or beware of? Thanks in advance.

'63 Valiant V200 Convertible
225 Aluminum Block

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:39 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Be prepared to enjoy your new springs!

Other than that... this is a relatively easy job, no hassles.

-Mac

Post subject: Re: New 5-leaf Springs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:24 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Is there anything I should be aware or beware of? Thanks in advance.
I'd spray the various bolts with PB Blaster, Kroil, or some other good penetrant a day or so before you swap springs (maybe BOTH days). For me, the nuts on the U-Bolts were a PAIN. Only later did I think of cutting the ends off first... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Pfft.... why waste the time even trying to get the U bolt nuts off.... they come off easier with a torch! Replace em, they are not that expensive. Especially whn you gotta fight em laying under the car; if I had a lift I might try to unscrew them. When I had the springs rearched on my Fury new bolts, nuts washers, etc were only $20-25. Not worth the hassle when they will either snap or the threads will peel about 80% of the time if they are the originals that the car left the factory with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
You've got new u bolts coming anyway. Don;t throw the old springs away just yet. my new ones settled odwn very fast, and I combined one of the old leafs to create a six pack set, which brought the car back up. I don't know why the new ones failed to stay high, but the failure took place between the end of the number two leaf and the shackle. I really doubt if you will have problems, but just in case.

Do you have a hydraulic jack? Jack up the body, put it on jack stands, and then support the rear with the a second set of jack stands while you take the bolts out of everything. Be sure to block the front wheels so they cannot roll, even though the rear of the car is on jack stands. It is not a difficult job. Make sure you do not stress your brake lines while the springs are unhooked. A big breaker bar makes this job much easier.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:33 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Pfft.... why waste the time even trying to get the U bolt nuts off.... they come off easier with a torch! Replace em, they are not that expensive. Especially whn you gotta fight em laying under the car; if I had a lift I might try to unscrew them. When I had the springs rearched on my Fury new bolts, nuts washers, etc were only $20-25. Not worth the hassle when they will either snap or the threads will peel about 80% of the time if they are the originals that the car left the factory with.
All true, unless, like me, he doesn't HAVE a cutting torch. I had brand new replacement U-bolts, but still had to get the old ones off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:51 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Sawzall or 4" or 4-1/2" hand grinder with a metal cutoff wheel. Probably the cheapest would be a Harbor Freight grinder. Five seconds and some sparks and bye bye U-bolts. Wear eye protection of course. The post about keeping the old springs is a good one, I added a leaf in my D-150 and paid $80 for two beefy spring packs, if I had some old springs laying around I could have done this for zero $$ and then tried it out. Thought about hitting a junkyard for some springs and then came to my senses...

The toughest part will be removing the springs from the car itself, you can't really saw at those bolts that attach the spring eyes to the car. On the other hand, they probably aren't all skanky like the U-bolt ones are. I recommend a monster pressure washing, followed by wire brushing of the parts that need to be removed--followed up by liberal application of your favorite penetrating oil(s). A couple of jacks, jack stands, pry bars, and sledge hammer might be useful. I have even used a come-along before. Usually the pesky part is to get the spring centering bolt lined up into the hole--hence the pry bar, sledge hammer, and come-along. I did this about a month ago and the hand sledge was the Blue Ribbon performer for me.

Consider cleaning up your rear brakes (if they need it), etc while you are back there as well...

Goes with out saying that re-using any bolts that have been on there is a bad idea, new bolts are cheap insurance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:19 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
i think i just pulled the axle, and hacksawed most of it and chiseled the rest. i didnt have any cool tools, hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:18 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
air tools are a wonderful thing.

Are the ESPOs Mexican made? I was reading on Moparts that JC Whitney sell American steel leaf springs. IIRC ESPOs are famous for drooping after a short while.

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:47 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
My "new" springs (new awhile back) certainly drooped quickly. Maybe they were from Mexico, but I thought the guy who sold them to me, from an ad in Hemmings made them himself. I guess you never know for sure. It was because of the drooping that I addedthe second leaf. Idid this by taking the old top leaf, cutting the eyes off of both ends with a hack saw, and inserting it into the pack right under the top one. I made the new, added leaf, end at the rear half way between the shackle and the end of the original 2nd leaf. That perked it right up, and has held it there for 10 years or so.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:54 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Springs, shackles, and u-bolts delivered yesterday. Looks like a match. Can't find any markings as to where manufactured. Won't be able to get to this installation for a while but I'll report back when I do.

225 Aluminum Block

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Once again, that is one beautiful car. Do you want to trade? :wink:

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:55 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Don't go there Sam. Turbo, EFI, 5 spd. - that is one rockin' car.

The new leaf springs are installed. The old bolts were tough to remove but all but one bolt were removed without cutting. Everything fit nicely and the job was done with just good ole' Sears tools, jack stands, and a hydraulic jack. Did throw a rod on my old Craftsman 2-cylinder air compressor. I guess after 16 years of use, I'll just go get another one.

The air shocks are at the minimum 25 psi and the car sits higher now than it did with the old springs and 60 psi on the shocks. Feels like it rides better too.

225 Aluminum Block

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I got a set of 5 leaf springs from ESPO and they were too light so I had them make me a 6th full length spring.
That did the trick...... :D

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:47 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
My Dart still has its 4 leaf set up on it, now that is soft. Let us know how you like the 5's I may upgrade too.