Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Squeaking Bushing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:16 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
About two years ago, I replaced the rear leaf spring and bushing. I purchased the "poly" bushing. I was told they last longer and perform much better. Anyway, those bushing have been squeaking from the day I installed them.

I took them off and cover them with some locksmith graphite, which stopped the noise until the winter rains. So, I took them off and lubricated them with a high quality synthetic grease. It stopped for months, but the noise is back. They sound like a couple rusty pogo stick on any bump.

So, any suggesting?

I'm thinking to replace them with rubber bushing.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:20 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
That's pretty consistenly the major problem with poly bushings; they are notorious for squeaking. Frequent lubrication is about the only solutions other than replacement.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:08 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Is there one lubricate best suited to this application?

I found some graphite grease which is used on piano parts.

I sure like to find something that will stop the squeak for a couple of years.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:25 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I remember trying the antyseiz that is made for aluminum. When I tried it I only put it on one side though, so I could see what the diff was between lubed and not lubed. The only problem was it took a year before the one side started sqeaking and I never could remember which side I lubed or not. Either the antyseiz worked, or the dry one worked. But one side never did sqeak and I always figured it was the one I used the Antyseiz on. I never have run these bushings again and that car got wrecked so I didnt get to try it agian or figure out what it was that was working.

If you have already been through this that many times it would be worth trying the antyseiz, and it was for aluminum ( silver not copper). I know I drove that car for three years before it got wrecked and the one side never did sqeak.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:34 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Of course you have what you have now, but it seems to me I remember that if you buy polygrahite bushings, not polycarbonate, squeeking is not nearly so bad. The graphite in the compound keeps it lubed. There are a few teflon based spray lubricants out there you might try. Pretty much anything you add to the part as a lubricant is going to wash off after awhile. But it is not too hard to re-apply. You have to put gas and oil in the car. So, why not add lubrication for the bushings to your maintenance list?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:45 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking that it's going to be an on going maintenance issue where I can test different produces as to their ability to squelch the squeak.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I had that same problem on my 1967 Mercury Cougar. I thought poly was the greatest stuff until it started making noises. I ended up pulling the bushings out where I could easily do it, and I scored a thin grease channel in them with a hacksaw. I then drilled and tapped the bushing housing to take a grease zerk. A few pumps of my favorite slimy stuff and the squeaks were gone. The places that were really hard to undo I simply drilled, tapped, and installed a zerk. Enough grease could be forced in to make the squeaks go bye-bye. This is one of those things I wished I had thought about BEFORE I installed the poly bushings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Good idea tlrol. One of the major drawbacks in my mind is that the plastic bushings do not repell water as effectively as rubber. They don;t seal as effectively nor, apparently "wipe" the moisture off the parts through their motion. It was my experience with these parts 15 years ago that things rusted much, much faster. Greasing things on a regular basis would go a long ways towards displacing the water. How many times have you seen water come out of a tie rod end first when you grease it?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:40 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
which part of the bushing is the noisy one?
let me rephrase:
in the case of a forward leaf spring bushing, is it the outside of the bushing rubbing against the inside of the spring making noise? or, is it the inside of the bushing on the bolt that secures it to the hanger?

i suppose in short the answer would be 'YES'( :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:34 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
What about a copper based product like spanjaard antisieze compound -

http://www.valiant50.co.za
Just say I own a few Mopars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:43 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I have always had good luck with a liberal coating of never-seize on install. On my daily driver (read:lots of rain weather driving in Vancouver)I would not get any sqeaks for usually about 1 1/2 - 2 years.When they start to make noise I've had very good luck spraying on a product called TRI-FLO,which I believe uses teflon.

67 Charger 383 4bbl 727 trick suspension