Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Stupid ignition ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:50 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Ok well today I tried to fine tune my baby but just can't get her to run smooth. I figured I would try the timing...tag says it should be at 12btc??? I left it at 12' advanced but its just so rough. It back fires alot and seems to run kinda rich. But if I advance it to 20' it runs much better but still has a lil pop, pop, pop, to it. i'm sure i'm doing something wrong. I adjusted the carb the best I could it seems like its in the timing. I'm running a clifford intake and headers, holley 350cfm with vacuum secondary.

Post subject: Mech valves?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:34 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
If your truck has the adjustable rocker arms (not the hydraulic versions), then a valve lash is in order, then adjust timing... (did you say your distributor had a vacc. advance, too?)... another thing to ask is do you have a dial back timing light and a vacc. gauge? You should tune for max vacc. and see where the timing is (I wonder if the vacc. adv. is hooked to the right port... if it's hooked to the metering block on the Holley, it's in the right spot... if it's hooked anywhere else... you'll be maxxed out on vacc. adv. and that's the problem there...)

try some of those and see what comes out...

-D.Idiot

Post subject: Re: Mech valves?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:23 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
If your truck has the adjustable rocker arms (not the hydraulic versions), then a valve lash is in order, then adjust timing... (did you say your distributor had a vacc. advance, too?)... another thing to ask is do you have a dial back timing light and a vacc. gauge? You should tune for max vacc. and see where the timing is (I wonder if the vacc. adv. is hooked to the right port... if it's hooked to the metering block on the Holley, it's in the right spot... if it's hooked anywhere else... you'll be maxxed out on vacc. adv. and that's the problem there...)

try some of those and see what comes out...

-D.Idiot
Will do... I think once i'm finished with everything i'm taking it in for an alingment so i'll get everything fine tuned there. thanks for the response!