Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: my nu set from breaks.it
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:19 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
tools, and a robust and easy-to-measure only half as quickly, but the rate is the Comparison of these1000 residue ki
f you have put in a good faith effort and still can?t find a tea to sat- Trout 3 ounces broiled 0.46 35 exercising more and speeding up heart rate
That PDF makes me want to try eccentric calf movements even more. Just need to find some semblance of a baseline first though. Frogbyte, Warren Frost Eccentric Movement... article i
vitamin's importance by causing growth failure in deficient rats, but scientists have yet to discover  Different approaches to ease your scale is my accountability and my friend
________
vaporizer affiliate program

Last edited by polkat on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:57 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I have used Type F forever. Does it make a difference? Not that you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, but I do know that B&M Trickshift fluid is nothing more than Type F with blue dye in it. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:59 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Im running Type F and really like it.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Better to use the correct fluid. Please see this post and this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:56 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
After reading Carl Monroe's Torqueflite book, I realized that different types of fluids can be mixed without harm, so I settled on a 50/50 Dexron/Type F mix. I'm happy with the results. By the way, I read somewhere that type f was actually formulated for Ford trannys that used sintered bronze clutches, rather then asbestos. Don't know if it's true, but it's interesting. I used to use it in C-4's all the time, which I built with standard clutch materials.
________
vaporizer wholesale

Last edited by polkat on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:40 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
After reading Carl Monroe's Torqueflite book, I realized that different types of fluids can be mixed without harm
Anyone else remember that awful '80s sitcom "The Facts of Life"? It had a line in the theme song that went "If you hear 'em from your brother, better check 'em with your mother, yeah, the facts of life...better get 'em right".

I'm not saying Monroe's wrong, necessarily, but there are a couple things to keep in mind:

1. Transmission fluids have evolved a lot in the last five years, let alone ten, or twenty, or thirty.

2. Contrary to bizarrely popular belief, there's never been any requirement, specification, regulation, or law that all transmission fluids must be intermiscible without causing problems.

Be careful out there! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Actually all fluids are not interchangeable. Type F was designed for the old Ford transmissions (C-4, C-6, FMX) that had the "paper" bands in them so they would not burn up. Putting Dexron in them was sudden death on the bands. That's where the idea came from that Type F would make a Turbo or Torqflite shift better, Type F had an additive that fought slip. I don't know that it does any good, but it sure doesn't hurt anything.

I run Type F in all my race transmissions and when Keith does the winter freshen-ups they always look like new inside.

I have also read that putting the newer type trans fluids in an unmodified older Torqflite will kill it too, but I have no verifiable proof of that.

I use the super duper type IV crap in my Dakota. I had the pan off at 90,000 and it looked like new inside too. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:09 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well, as I said, the 50/50 mix seems to be working fine for me. But I need to point out that this is my experience, and for all I know things might turn wrong a bit down the line. I don't suggest anyone try this unless you've studied the pros and cons of the fluid(s) you wish to try, and the friction material you are using. Dexron is suggested for torqueflites for good reasons.
________
Honda VTX Series specifications

Last edited by polkat on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:36 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Dart 270 w/ 66 Valiant front clip
Ran it forever and ran the 904's hard with it! You can buy the cheap type f and it's just as good as that rip off $6 a quart stuff thats so called race trans fluid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:22 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Type F in my 904's & 727's & never a problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:12 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
A few years after Dexron came out, there were reports of failures on Ford transmissions (people putting Dexron in the Ford). Every auto part store in my area, had a notice posted on the counter, that was put out by Valvoline. It stated that the type "F" fluid had a higher coeffient of friction, then the Dexron, and that using Dexron in a Ford trans would cause internal slippage, and burn the trans up. The use of type"F" in GM or Mopar transmissions, was acceptable, and would cause no damage.

Remember this was back in the 1970's, and there have been many improvements, in fluids, since then.

PS: I run "F" in my race torqueflites, and dexron III, in my street cars.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:13 am 
Turbo EFI

Location: Cypress, Texas, Northwest Houston. The Lone Star State
Car Model:
Ah yes, "The Facts of Life". Nancy Mckeon, she stole my heart... :)
Being that I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts, I find this topic interesting. I use Dexcron/Mercon in my Volare, but I've wondered about the type F.