Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:36 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1973 Plymouth Scamp

Bruce
'73 Ply Scamp 225 1bbl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:15 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The first adjustment to make is the sector mesh preload adjustable at the input face of the box (the part that faces the firewall). You loosen the lockring (a hammer and punch works), tighten the box "lid" by carefully tapping it clockwise with your hammer and punch until it seats, then back it off very slightly and hold it in position while tightening the lockring.

THEN, you set the cross-shaft preload which is the screw on top of the box. You loosen the locknut and hold it in place while you snug the screw, then back it off about 1/8 turn and hold it in place while you tighten the locknut. Both of these adjustments need to be made with the load off the wheels, so the car should be lifted slightly off the pavement. (By rights, you're supposed to disconnect the pitman arm so there's no load on the steering box).

It sounds to me as though the people who replaced your steering box (with what? A used one, a rebuilt...?) did a half-baked job of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:49 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1973 Plymouth Scamp
Thanks Dan, as for sector mesh preload adjustment, is lock ring the large castle nut looking ring? If so, once loose is the lid the inner piece directly below? This was a rebuilt steering box should this have to be adjusted after it is installed?

I spoke to the shop today and they said they knew it was a little loose on the steering but when they tightened it the cross shaft preload the wheel would not return quickly from a turn.

I’ve dealt with this shop for years and had no problems I wonder if the box was not rebuilt correctly.

Bruce
'73 Ply Scamp 225 1bbl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Thanks Dan, as for sector mesh preload adjustment, is lock ring the large castle nut looking ring?
Yep!
Quote:
If so, once loose is the lid the inner piece directly below?
Yep!
Quote:
This was a rebuilt steering box should this have to be adjusted after it is installed?
One would hope that it would've been adjusted correctly as the last step before it was boxed and shipped, but this is the kind of sloppy work common to "remanufactured" parts these days. :-(
Quote:
I spoke to the shop today and they said they knew it was a little loose on the steering but when they tightened it the cross shaft preload the wheel would not return quickly from a turn.
Shame on them not checking or doing the adjustments correctly. "Aw, heck, yeah, it's loose, but when we do only one of the adjustments the wrong way, it binds up." C'mon. They want money for that kind of half-ässed workmanship??? :shock:
Quote:
I’ve dealt with this shop for years and had no problems I wonder if the box was not rebuilt correctly.
We won't know until it's adjusted correctly...