Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
I want to verify that the undercarriage will transfer from the '74 Valiant to the '63 Dart GT.

K'frame w/front suspension etc?

Rear spring perch locations?

Any of the steering gear? Or do I need different tie rods and drag link?

The Valiant carries LBP front disks. I have a new MC, and the front end is complete on the Dart. Can any of these parts be used in the swap?

What about Drive Shaft length? I want to transfer the Ford 8" I have in the Valiant as well.

I need to know if it's time to go scrounge some more parts! :lol:

CJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:25 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Quote:
I want to verify that the undercarriage will transfer from the '74 Valiant to the '63 Dart GT.

Nope, sorry. You can only use '63-'66 K-members without mods.
Quote:
Same!
Quote:
The steering box is a go. Tie rods will swap, but need adjustment. Drag link has to stay with the '63 as do the pitman and idler arms.
Quote:
The Valiant carries LBP front disks. I have a new MC, and the front end is complete on the Dart. Can any of these parts be used in the swap?
Everything except the K-member, sway bar, drag link, pitman and idler arms can swap to the '63 from the '74.
Quote:
What about Drive Shaft length? I want to transfer the Ford 8" I have in the Valiant as well.
Dart is longer wheelbase than the Valiant so the driveshaft has to be longer.
Quote:
I need to know if it's time to go scrounge some more parts! :lol:

CJ
A few.

Joshua

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
No. It would take extensive mods.
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
The steering gearbox interchange stops at '72; the '73+ box will bolt up to the K-frame, but the output shaft (where the pitman arm attaches) is larger on '73+ boxes and so won't accept your '62-'66 pitman arm.
Quote:
Surely! All of it, control arms and all, if you wish.

Quote:
What about Drive Shaft length?
Same. Both your '63 Dart and your '74 Valiant have the same 111" wheelbase — Josh, remember, only the Duster and Dart Sport were on the 108" wheelbase starting in '74. Starting that year, the Valiant sedan was a rebadged Dart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:54 pm 
Supercharged

Ah, OK, never had that late a Valiant. Lucky CJ. He doesn't have to buy a driveshaft or a steering box as he converted the '74 to manual steering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:21 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Ah, OK, never had that late a Valiant. Lucky CJ. He doesn't have to buy a driveshaft or a steering box as he converted the '74 to manual steering.
I'm pretty sure the steering box is going to make a problem when trying to interchange — power or manual interchange appears to go from '62 through '72, then stop, then the '73-up boxes are interchangeable. I note that in '73 and '74, the pitman arm p/n is different for power vs. manual steering, (though neither p/n is the same as the one-and-only '72 pitman arm), so perhaps CJ will get luck on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:27 pm 
Supercharged

The power steering pitman arm spline changed when the large sector power steering box was introduced in '73 and the drag link was changed that year so the manual steering pitman arm changed too. The manual boxes stayed small sector so they interchange without issue. If CJ's '74 still had power steering he'd be out of luck.

The only large sector manual boxes were C-body and B vans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 pm 

Car Model:
Then I wonder what causes Hollander to put a hard stop at interchangeability of manual boxes between '72 and '73.

Post subject: And...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I would also invest in a new set of sandwich motor mounts, and grab the motor mounts out of that Dart in Junction since you will need those to mount your mill in your dart... (also as a safety precaution, you might also look into making a couple of 'clips' like the late trucks have for those sandwich motor mounts so they will 'hold', in case of a sandwich failure...)

Welcome to the pains of 'swaps' from standardized 'late' to 'changed a few things each year' mid-60's mopar...

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If you can put an earlier pitman on the manual steering box for the later cars, then you are home free with mixing your front end parts. The holes in the drag link for the idler and pitman must be parallel to each other. The larger spline pitman is 90 degrees off from the smaller earlier one.

The mounts for the idler are different between the two years, so you must use the older idler, and your pitman must match that older idler in the direction the ball joint stud points.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Edd's front plate is starting to look better and better.

The only drawback there is vibration in a street driven car.. or is it going to be a problem?

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:05 pm 
Supercharged

You'll want the rubber mounts in a street car. Just putting the passenger's side mount in upside down made for plenty of vibration in my '66 Dart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:50 pm 

Car Model:
Sounds like it's time to make another phone call to Imperial Services and see if they've got those polyurethane engine mounts for '62-'66 Slant-6 A-bodies ready to ship yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:03 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I have the driveshaft out of my '76 Duster in my '66 Valiant 2 door post car. :shock:

I have never really been able to figure out that wheelbase crap. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:47 am 
Site Admin

This ought to plug my shop up for a bit this fall. :shock:

The pitman arm is one I bought from Firmfeel. Interestingly enough, it messed up my steering wheel allignment.

Is it going to connect to the joint coming off the drag link, or am I going to need to get creative?

The entire steering system is in the GT, so hopefully I'll be able to work with the parts I have. I'm starting to get a little confused here.

Will the column from the Valiant work in the Dart? That would allow me to use my column shift rather than putting a floor shift in.

Can I use the manual shaft and wheel in the later automatic steering column?

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
I have the driveshaft out of my '76 Duster in my '66 Valiant 2 door post car. :shock:
This works if the shaft was a little bit on the short side for the '76, as is sometimes the case, because the '76 Duster had a 108" wheelbase and your '66 has a 106" wheelbase. But you'd want to have checked to make sure the slipyoke doesn't smack the back of the trans at full vehicle load (heavy weight in trunk and rear seat).
Quote:
I have never really been able to figure out that wheelbase crap. :?
It's just the measurement from the centre of the front wheel to the centre of the rear wheel.