Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Engine assembly lube
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:18 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
What engine assembly lube do you guys use and how much of it do you use? I've heard you are supposed to glob it on like there's no tomorrow. I put the head together with No. 1 White Lithium Motor Assembly Grease.

Also, any helpful hints/pointers on putting the motor back together? Anything I should look out for? I'll be starting assembly sometime this week.

Thanks for all of your guys' input so far. You have been very helpful and insightful, and without this resource, I surely wouldn't have made it this far in the slant six world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:41 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I would search for "twiggy aluminum" and see how Doug put his slant togther. The only thing I would "watch" out for is assembling the oil pan, read through the articles on the main page and you should be fine. I don't gob the assembly on. I put a healthy dab on like the cam bearing lobes or other bearing surfaces. If your really unsure, Amazon has a movie on assembly that is suppose to be pristine, but I think you'll do fine.

Post subject: Clean...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
1) Make sure everything is 'clean'
2) using the proper tools to make sure your clearances are correct (machinists sometimes make mistakes)
3) there are a couple of brands of assembly lube, if your cam came with a packet of the stuff paint all riding/bearing surfaces with it to keep your warranty, many recommend a moly lube nowadays... you don't have to glop it on, just paint a layer on it (if you have a clean finger or gloves on that aren't soiled you can use a finger to spread it)

Have fun, good luck, make sure you check the specs by the manual and use the proper torque...

-D.Idiot