Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: sure grip question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:20 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Hi guys, I have a '63 Dart, stock 225 one barrel, A833 OD from a '76 Aspen, and 3.23 rear ratio with 25" tires. My question is, if I come across a Sure Grip which I'm thinking I would like, sometimes I like going off road on unpaved roads to take pictures. I mostly do city street and highway driving, will the Sure Grip make any changes too my current economy? I'm an easy driver, no 1/4 mile drags or anything like that.
Thanks for your time,
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:28 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
A properly-working Sure Grip should not materially reduce fuel economy.

But a Sure Grip does not an offroader make; if you often find yourself in situations where the only thing preventing you getting where you want to go is that one wheel spins while the other does nothing, then a Sure Grip might be warranted. Just keep in mind that you also need to be able to get back from where you're going and read-up on risk homeostasis before you decide to spend the time, effort, and money putting in a Sure Grip (in a nutshell: when your car has greater capability, you'll tend to find yourself in tougher situations; if your car has better brakes you'll tailgate more and drive faster; if it has better tires you'll take corners faster, etc., so the overall improvement is nullified).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
My only question was concerning economy. An over all psychoanalysis was unnecessary regarding the difference between off road 4 wheeling and simply driving on unpaved roads. Come on........
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:59 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
You're welcome. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 am 
Guru

Car Model:
One thing to note is the differences in "Sure Grip" designs.
Some are friction activated with a set pre-load (Auburn "cone" style) and others are more torque sensitive. (Dana Spicer Power-Lok) The unit's design will have some influence on how much power it consumes and turns into heat.
There are a few other nice, newer designs, (Detroit Locker, TrueTrak, Zexel / Gleason Torsen) so the bottomline, it is good to select the design that best fits your driving conditions and needs. In your case, a torque activated unit that is set to activate only when excessive wheel spin occurs.
DD