Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: block removal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:34 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
ok well im back, its been awhile, ok so the story is im removing the slant six from my 1962 Plymouth just to clean it and reseal and leaks and piece it all back together. the issue is i have removed everything but the block and the oil pan..the block has "separated" from the bell housing but i cannot get the block to slide out and lift up (yes, i do have it on a cherry picker) and ideas ?

is it caught on anything?

thanks
-Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:00 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1974 W100; 72 Dart
are you working on a standard or an automatic transmission?

sb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:15 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
push button auto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:31 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
the issue is i have removed everything but the block and the oil pan..
why didnt you just remove the engine as a complete assembly? :?

are you sure you removed every single bellhousing bolt? and did you remove the bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate? and i have to ask, did you unbolt the engine mounts?

Post subject: got it..thanks ya'll
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:51 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
yes i did undo the engine mounts...lol lol but i did finally get it out..it was the bolts to the converter, and it was hitting the oil pan...yeah i know i shouldn't have undone that first ...any ideas on what to do to it? im a college student with a low LOW budget, but i want my baby to have a little bit more pep.

Post subject: engine removal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:23 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
All I can say -- is the energy of youth strikes again!

So you want more pep--- did you ruin anything in your engine removal?

Take some time to read posts on this site---- many others have posted their experience on this site.

Determine what you what out of the ride & build accordingly. Good Luck

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:25 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
yeah i know i shouldn't have undone that first
undone what, the oilpan?
yikes.
Quote:
ok so the story is im removing the slant six from my 1962 Plymouth just to clean it and reseal and leaks and piece it all back together
i dont see why you even needed to remove the engine, let alone disassemble it. a valve cover gasket, spark plug tube o-rings, well okay... rear main seal replacement and oilpan sealing as per this article http://slantsix.org/articles/gasket-sea ... n-seal.htm will require engine removal, but something tells me you have unbolted every removable part on the engine before attempting to pull it out, including the manifolds and cylinder head. correct?

and now you tell us youre a college kid, on a "low LOW" budget. Well Im sure someone will be along shortly to give you a big hug and b/s you into believing you havent tinkered your way out of ever driving those nifty vintage fenders until youve got your loan paid off, (where were your budget constraints when you signed the pink slip?) but my advice to you NOW, is to start looking on craigslist or the ss.org classifieds and praying for a cheap used longblock. Or start taking the bus.

and for christs sake think about what youre doing before you start taking things apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
That's a bit harsh boom. :tsk:

So what's your budget look like Brad?

You've got it out, let's get started. :D

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:12 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Have an excellent day, ceej. feel free to edit/delete my posts as you see fit.

wbhard, get ready for kraft dinner and hotdogs. remember, you enrolled in college to get an education, not to get style points with an old car you dont have the skills or money to maintain. put your priorities in check and focus on your studies. when you graduate, let's talk. we will still be here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:12 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
ok well, this is my second car btw. and i have removed eveything, gimmi a break the car is old as hell and it need new gaskets (OH AND THE CAR WAS GIVIN TO ME FROM MY COUSIN, HE DIDNT WANT TO SEE IT ANYMORE). ok so everything is out and ready for cleaning, most parts have been cleaned and repainted, and i only broke 2 bolds..one that bolts the carb to the intake maifold and one on the hood mount but i already fixed it.

i cant afford to do anything major, i just want her back together to get her back out to the car shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
on and the budget is low...less than $200..possible $300 depanding on parts.

what i have is a complete gasket set, cherry bomb exhaust, and a edelbrock intake, new ignition coil, and new fuel pump, new plugs...i think thats it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:16 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
well i still got 1 month of summer break and i want the car close to back together before i go back, i got one year left at NGCSU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Do you have a carburetor and the necessary hardware to hook it up for the Eddy?
You were looking at buying a cam several months ago, is that on hand? Bearings, lifters, and appropriate springs? Does the cam require any machine work?

What other machine work does the engine need at this point? Have you measured the bores, taper, and so forth? Do you have rings and bearings, or have you pulled the caps?

Lot's of questions, I know! :lol:

Your budget is a bit lean, me thinks.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:24 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
youve got your whole life ahead of you. what's one more year of taking the bus.

when school starts again youre going to wish you still had that $300 for something else. keep your nose in the books, the marks you get will earn you more money to put into your car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:26 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Quote:
on and the budget is low...less than $200..possible $300 depanding on parts.

what i have is a complete gasket set, cherry bomb exhaust, and a edelbrock intake, new ignition coil, and new fuel pump, new plugs...i think thats it..
Do yourself a very big favor and get a factory service manual before you go any farther. It will more than pay for itself before this job is done.

Since the engine is dismantled now would be a good time to check the cylinders for wear, have the head rebuilt, put in a new timing chain, all the basic things. Hit Pep Boys and get a new oil pump while they are still clearing them out at $2.40.

Not trying to scare you, but since you just want to do gaskets/seals, be prepared for the engine to burn oil like crazy when you put it back together.

Contrary to what others think here, a project like this is how you learn. Nobody is born a mechanic, you have to learn it. You can have all the mechanical aptitude in the world, but until you are out there getting dirty, you don't know squat. :lol:

Good luck and have fun. :D :D :D :D :D

P.S. Put the torque converter back into the trans before you try to install the engine. It will make 3 distinct clunks when you have it all the way in. If you don't hear 3, it isn't right. Also, the flex plate bolt pattern is not concentric. All 4 bolts will only go in 1 way. Lay the flex plate on the converter while it's apart and mark it so you'll save yourself a ton of headaches when you put it back in the car. :shock: