Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:09 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Valiant V200
I can't find a good internet picture but I'm 90% sure the AP6 and VC wagon tail lights are the same as my '64 Valiant ones (or at least the lenses). Can someone find me a better pic of the rear of an aussie wagon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:23 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
VC wagon tail lenses are indeed the same as US 1964 Valiant wagon tail lenses. The upper lenses are identical. The original-equipment lower lenses were clear in North America, amber in Australia — see here for details of how the Australian cars were wired up back there.

AP6 wagons are a special case; some of them had the US '64 Valiant wagon taillamps and some of them had the US '65 Valiant wagon taillamps (not even close to interchangeable).

The VC wagon tail lenses are available from at least one of the reputable Australian Valiant parts suppliers. I know Blue Star Spares has 'em. Pentastar Parts and Restoration may, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:41 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Thanks - So I need to look for VC for sure.

I plan to re-wire mine to work like the export models. I don't understand why Mopar would wire them the shared way in the first place.

Do you know where to get the bulb sockets for the stock tail lights? I need two since mine doesn't have reverse lights. It would be nice to replace the upper ones as well to keep the old connections to a minimum. I suppose I could rob some from the junkyard and solder the contacts on new wires too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:54 pm 
EFI Slant 6

I just re-read your response - '64 US-valiant SEDAN lights are the same as VC Wagon? Or just US-wagon? I need to look closely at a US-market wagon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:20 pm 

Car Model:
Nope, read again. I don't mention sedans at all; their lenses are all different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:27 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
I plan to re-wire mine to work like the export models. I don't understand why Mopar would wire them the shared way in the first place.
'Cause US codes said a flashing brake light was an OK rear turn signal, and called for white (not amber) reversing lights. The Europe/Japan/current rest-of-world-except-North-America spec (red brake/tail, amber turn, white reverse) is best, but the old Australian setup (red brake/tail, amber turn/reverse) was definitely better than the US red brake/tail/turn. Crashes like the one 70Valiant just had often happen because our brake lamps look just like our turn signals.
Quote:
Do you know where to get the bulb sockets for the stock tail lights?
NAPA Echlin and Standard-BlueStreak lines both contain numerous different sockets of the types you're looking for. It's important to get the focal length right; it's not enough that the bulb fits the socket.