Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:05 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No conspiracy, just exhaustion and butterfingers on my part. I was multitasking late at night, not paying enough attention to anything I was doing, and hit "(X)" instead of "Quote". Meant to report myself to the rest of the Moderators and/or this thread but got distracted. Sorry, all. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Aw, c'mon, Dan... just trying to liven things up around here. There hasn't been a good brawl or a nasty exchange in, like, FOREVER!

You're no fun! :)

Or is that what you WANT us to think...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1962 Lancer 770
So I'm still curious if anyone has mounted an electric fan in that little 2.5" space in the 60-62 engine bay ;)

MJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Quote:
So I'm still curious if anyone has mounted an electric fan in that little 2.5" space in the 60-62 engine bay ;)

MJ

Use a bunch of these:
http://tinyurl.com/6y3ams

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:38 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1962 Lancer 770
sweet I can just take apart my computers and build a new cooling unit ;) Thanks Ed, I'd never thought of that ;) Do they make say...a 600mm one? :oops:

How many CFM does a regular fan actually move?

MJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:42 pm 

Car Model:
Refer to the linked fan comparison article for CFM info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:43 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Aw, c'mon, Dan... just trying to liven things up around here. There hasn't been a good brawl or a nasty exchange in, like, FOREVER!
Well, that's 'cause Dusty Desks and Jon Dahlberg and that lot are all at the slantsix.org mouthy malcontent and gadfly jamboree in Camden, NJ this month. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Hey, I actually like the idea of all those little fans! Build a grid that covered the entire radiator and I think it would actually work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:13 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
No conspiracy, just exhaustion and butterfingers on my part. I was multitasking late at night, not paying enough attention to anything I was doing, and hit "(X)" instead of "Quote". Meant to report myself to the rest of the Moderators and/or this thread but got distracted. Sorry, all. :oops:
No problem, Honest mistake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:19 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Hey, I actually like the idea of all those little fans! Build a grid that covered the entire radiator and I think it would actually work!
That's why I used four 10" fans. I have nearly 100% core coverage and can turn them on and off as needed. One is on a t-stat but can override it if necessary, a second is on a sep switch (these are the top 2) and if I need additional cooling the bottom two are on a seperate switch.

Last edited by Shaker223 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:23 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Quote:
Quote:
That's why I used four 10" fans. I have nearly 100% core coverage and can turn them on and off as needed. One is one a t-stat but can override it if necessary, a second is on a sep switch (these are the top 2) and if I need additional cooling the bottom two are on a seperate switch.
The 10" are the thinnest you can get. Another advantage with 4 is that the thickest portion of the fans doesn't line up with the water pump pulley so you gain a little clearance there.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
the biggest problem I see with an early A-body is the soft motor mounts. Even a panic stop is enough to pitch the engine forward, perilously close to the radiator. It would need to be a very thin fan to give adequate clearance.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:50 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's why I used four 10" fans. I have nearly 100% core coverage and can turn them on and off as needed. One is on a t-stat but can override it if necessary, a second is on a sep switch (these are the top 2) and if I need additional cooling the bottom two are on a seperate switch.
The 10" are the thinnest you can get. Another advantage with 4 is that the thickest portion of the fans doesn't line up with the water pump pulley so you gain a little clearance there.
Right, I have plenty of room.

Ever consider a pusher or pushers?
I have a 16" pusher on my built slant in the 70 that does a great job. Dunno if there is enough room in an early A-body though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:55 pm 

Car Model:
I'm not worried about the engine mounts; we'll have at least one good solution for those soon. That said...the engine pitching forward on its mounts...? Not that I've seen. All three mounts would have to be whupped into near-nonexistence. I've seen objectionable levels of engine roll (left to right) with '62-'66 stock mounts, but never engine pitch (fore and aft). You have...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:46 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Well, that's 'cause Dusty Desks and Jon Dahlberg and that lot are all at the slantsix.org mouthy malcontent and gadfly jamboree in Camden, NJ this month. ;-)
Dagnabit! Did I miss that AGAIN? I know it's around the time of the Monster Mopar show, but I always forget... I wonder if they've got any T-shirts left over...?

Guess I'll go look for some trouble over at some of the import forums. Later, dogs! 8)