Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I dont know why, but though I have removed glued in glass from every other crevice destined to hold a window successfully,, EXCEPT for a windshield; every time I attempt to do one it cracks before I get it out. I have multiples of glass for every spot in my Volare EXCEPT a windshield; I don't even have 1. Theres a 77 2 dr "premier" model in a pick a part that I used to frequent prior to my being hurt and unable to work. I got the trunk lid from that car today. Tues. is "1/2 price day" and they have a few other things I want too; I may go back there Tues for this W/S and a few other items. (they got a nice fiberglass cap, on a early 90s F 150 that will fit my '83 D 250, that they told me $100 today for starters; its worth going back for a $50 savings there) But with NO air power no electricity etc (they won't allow compressors sawzalls etc to be brought in) and working alone (might be able to recruit a "helper" in the form of another customer; Ive done that before) but not gonna count on that; how can I get that glass out intact and working alone? I wish they were gasketed like a D/W truck; those are easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:36 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
don, don't try doing it your self it will for sure end up in multiple pieces. the last windshield i saved i had a proffesional come cut out for me and it still took him almost an hour w/ one of those ultrasonic adhesive knifes. maybe you could get them to move the car to a flat area and have a mobile glass company come cut itout ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:27 pm 
Supercharged

When I have tried it before I used the "wire trick" with someone inside ad someone outside and usually get them about 3/4 cut out and "POP".
When I saw that car in the yard yesterday there was a van in there "glass company" when I 1st went in; by the time I went to leave the Van was nowhere to be seen but there were a couple of Mexican guys with carts they were pulling around just STACKED with wind shields and back glasses, in the GM section. The Chrysler section is all the way in the back next to the import section and around a corner from the main ent. I tried to ask these Mexican guys how much theyd want to pull that one and I honestly do not think they understood English. I do not believe these guys were employed by "the yard". I'd have given them $20, regardless of their affiliation with the yard, to get that glass out for me intact but they responded to me in Spanish; the only Spanish I know is that Nova="no go". :twisted: :P I'm gonna try and get up there Tues. anyways, there's a 91 ish D series truck, that I want the seat from. I am also after a 91-95 Caravan gas tank (NOT and AWD version though) and every f*ing one that they had, was either poked by forklifts or had a quarter sized hole punched in them, ABOVE the seam :roll: :cry: :evil: And a fiberglass cap thats on a 93-95ish F 150 that will fit my truck that I was told $100. for yesterday. Its worth $50 not the $100 they quoted to me, even on other than "1/2 price Tuesday". so I'm gonna try and get that too.
Now that a competitor told me that the rear K frame from the Mitsu Galant they had WILL go into my buddys 01 Stratus (I thought so) I can get that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:11 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I've had OK luck with a w/s knife BUT that is on '72 (approx.) and older ones held in with w/s ribbon (roll of butle tape).

In all honesty I will take them out for people with no guarantee but I refuse to install used glass on a car that I have painted. Why would I want a scratched, pitted piece of glass on a otherwise nice car.

Most w/s I get are right around $150.00 for something non-date coded and probably made in China.

Service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:49 pm 
Supercharged

Thanks but I am going out of my way to avoid China SH!T on this American car. though I understand what you say about new glass. IF a suitable new replacement (not China Taiwan, etc made, for starters) comes along for a reasonable price I may grab it, but as of now i have no wind shield for this car so I'd rather have something on hand for when I reassemble the car, instead of nothing. Ive busted windshields upon trying to remove them, with one of them T handle things; twist it AT ALL (usually happens along the top pass side about 4" from the corner) and the W/S has just been rendered garbage. Been there TOO many times.

Post subject: Success!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:05 pm 
Supercharged

Well I actually got the glass out intact. That's a 1st for me! For $15, I'm not gonna bitch. So now I have at least 1 of every piece of glass for my car; on all BUT the W/S, at least 3 or 4 of each around here.
(tues is 1/2 price day at that yard and I actually had several parts to get, some requests (rear susp K member and trailing arms for an 01 Stratus RT) ; 2 yards had trouble (this one included) understanding what I was after when I went to ask about interchange info); a competeitor around the corner found it right away. but wanted extra $$$$ for each of the trailing arms, would not let me do the pulling of parts and in all likelihood would have torched those arms making them worth exactly $0 had I not asked for them. so I took his printout back to this Pic n Pull, as I had seen a car there, that I thought was the same, but was not sure of the year. (wound up with parts off a Galant; turned out an exact match) I also got a newer seat for my truck ('91 "LE" all cloth, same color, even) clean, $15; rear slider window for the same $15 price, with the gasket and lock strip. (I guess they are different for solid window vs slider window. I wish that all automotive glass could be as easy to pull as gasketed glass is. And an intact, fiber head liner out of that Volare that relenquished the windshield and also (from Sat when I was there) its trunk lid. He wound up not charging me for the headliner. (price list showed $16 so todays price would have been $8.) and the seat belts from the truck he did not charge me for, either (mine don't like to go back on their own, and the one female end I currently have, is messed up)