Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Exhaust (again)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:21 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I got an estimate today on my new exhaust, and It would cost me about $370 installed (2.25 all the way), but thats if I buy two new mufflers. But, my grandpa has two 2" in mufflers in the garage that he says are supposed to be like flowmasters. He used them on his street rod for awhile, and they sounded pretty good. Now, I was wondering if I could go 2.25" back to a split, and 2" the rest of the way back with the same advantage of a 2.25 all the way.

Here is a pic of the estimate sheet. It would only cost $250 if I used the 2" mufflers. Here are the mufflers. I guess they are summit mufflers or somthing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:43 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Dual 2 inch pipes is plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:08 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
And single 2 1/4" is lighter and less expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:21 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
And single 2 1/4" is lighter and less expensive.
Yea, I know, but I want duals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:29 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
reducing the diameter beyond the muffler to 2" is what you want to do anyway. it keeps the velocity up and reduces tinny resonance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
reducing the diameter beyond the muffler to 2" is what you want to do anyway. it keeps the velocity up and reduces tinny resonance.
Yea, but Im talking about reducing before the muffler, after the y pipe (see pic of estimate sheet) Scince the muffler is 2" in and 2" out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:56 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
well, it's starting out as a single... so it isnt duals. you might as well tie-wrap a second exhaust tip to your bumper and run a single exhaust on the other side because the seat of your pants arent going to feel any difference.

if you want duals.... wait, save, and get duals. dutra duals.

Post subject: ~
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:07 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
Quote:
if you want duals.... wait, save, and get duals. dutra duals.
Agree 120%... can't wait to get mine installed...now where did I put that 4bbl manifold.. oh that's right i don't have one yet! :D

If you are planning on getting actual duals, do as SOMB says, wait and get the manifolds. You can still even use the mufflers your grandad is giving you!

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:16 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
As I have said before, I would love to get a set of dutra duals, but I don't have the skills to modify the rear section of the manifold myself. If I even attempted it, I would most definatly screw somthing up. I am still going to save for them though. Someday...

So, back to the duals at hand. If I ever do get the dutras, I will modify the exhaust to accomodate. Should I stick with 2.25" all the way or do a reduce to 2"?
Quote:
well, it's starting out as a single... so it isnt duals. you might as well tie-wrap a second exhaust tip to your bumper and run a single exhaust on the other side because the seat of your pants arent going to feel any difference.
Its not true duals, but it is a dual exhaust of some sort. Im doing this for the "coolness" factor, not just for performance. plus wouldn't it look weird having two exhaust tips, and exhaust only coming out of one tip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
As I have said before, I would love to get a set of dutra duals, but I don't have the skills to modify the rear section of the manifold myself. If I even attempted it, I would most definatly screw somthing up. I am still going to save for them though. Someday...
Ummm, I took an exhaust manifold to a local welder. He chopped off the front section and welded the rear one shut. $40. All I had to do was a little legwork (research), and drop it off. That was the EASY part.

I realize you're going for "cool factor", but I think the consensus is that fake duals are not "cool". It's like being a poser. I wanted dual exhaust, too. I think it looks "right" on an older car, even if it DOES add extra weight. But I'd take a well-built, free flowing SINGLE exhaust over fake duals. I know it's not what you want to hear, but here's one more recommendation to save your pennies for REAL duals.

If you're really just about the looks, then hang a tip off the other side of the car like steponmebbbboom said, or get a dual-outlet tip. I once owned a '77 Volare with a hot small block. It had true duals, but both tips exited on the same side because of the gas tank. People thought it was a dual tip, until I left them behind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I guess your right, I should save. Im not getting them untill january or so anyway. Thanks for the advice guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:13 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
I guess your right, I should save. Im not getting them untill january or so anyway. Thanks for the advice guys!
I know it's tough — true duals and Dutras aren't cheap. But to me, they're definitely worth it, and the difference between just "doing it" and "doing it right". You'll probably never have to worry about redoing your exhaust again.

As opposed to my "younger days", I collected parts for my Super Six/Dutra exhaust upgrade for nearly two years before I finally took the plunge. That included all new studs, bolts, brass nuts, etc, down to the very last little part. It took a while, but it sure made it nice to assemble clean, new parts, and I was proud to pop the hood.

Hang in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
all i had to do was chop the front three runners off and send it to Doug; he did the rest. i actually sent him two cores because he really needs them and he took a little more off the price for me.

he did a great job on the manifold and ive put many miles on the set. they ain't pretty no more...

and while my heat riser is in cold position, i only get fog out of one side anyway. when it warms up, no one will know the bloody difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:23 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
When I get my Dual Dutra Duals I will be y piping them to a single 2 1/4 exhaust :shock: I dont see the point of duals on an inline engine! The factory gave it a single pipe,so I will replace it, only bigger :twisted: Is there even any performance/m.p.g improvement going to duals over a single pipe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:01 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Is there even any performance/m.p.g improvement going to duals over a single pipe?
It would depend on the dia. of the pipes, but nope, only looks (and maybe sound) are improved, but even that's subjective. In fact, the added weight probably HURTS performance and MPG a little. I just like the looks of (true) dual exhaust on my Darts.