Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Engine compartment ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:19 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
What is the shortest engine compartment depth (from core support to firewall), that a slant will fit it in? With or without electric fan. I am looking at putting one in an "inferior" make of car, and didn't know if someone has tried to squeeze one in a tight spot already.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:34 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Well, what are you trying to do? I've put a slant into a Mitsubishi-built '81 Dodge Challenger, but had to bump the firewall back a bit. It originally was a four-banger in conventional front engine-rear drive configuration.
Other than the firewall thing it went in surprisingly easy.
There's also a few other cars on here that aren't exactly in stock configuration.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:57 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I have a 79 mercedes 450 slc. I love the car, but there is always something going on runability wise. The body is awesome with new paint, it needs some interior work but otherwise it solid, sits right, and has some very expensive wheels and tires on it.....

I've got 4 slants. 3 with manuals bolted to them. I would like to put one in the car. I can probably sell the engine and trans in the car now for a pretty good chunk of money. That would give me enough do the swap with new exhaust, and other misc.

I've got a killer slant that my dad had built in the early 70's. Crane Cam,lifters, and springs, Speed-Pro pistons...back when you had more choices of high performance stuff for the slants. The engine was built by a guy that builds Pro-Stock engines to this day. Its only got about 5k on it. (I wrecked the valiant it was in when I was 17...I'm 42 now) and its begging for me to do this.

Thats why asked about the smallest place a slant can be put in...cause its pretty tight.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:59 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
A remerger of Chrysler & Mercedes... Hummmm.

Why couldn't you just fix the reliability deficiencies of the rigging already stuffed in the car. I would suspect a 450SLC, with a slant would be worth next to nothing, not unlike a Jag with a Chevy small block. Oh, the horror of it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Neat idea. Parts would certainly cost less!

What's the difference in block length?

I'd love to see what your up to! Shoot me a PM. I'm down in Halsey.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:20 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
A remerger of Chrysler & Mercedes... Hummmm.

Why couldn't you just fix the reliability deficiencies of the rigging already stuffed in the car. I would suspect a 450SLC, with a slant would be worth next to nothing, not unlike a Jag with a Chevy small block. Oh, the horror of it all.
I realize it would be worth nothing. But the car would be exaclty the way I want it, and it should last forever with a slant in it. I was told it needed a new fuel regulator, and some other Bosch crap that amounted to $1500-$2000. And then he didn't know how much longer the overhead cams would last...another $1000.

I can do the swap with a 5 speed for that. I'm going to do some measuring this weekend and find out where the shifter would come through the floor.