Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Windshield Wiper Failure
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Sorry if this has been answered in the past, I did a quick search, but the problem is I don't really know what my problems are. I had installed an amp which I learned was bad and was throwing fuses like no one's business. At one point I had 5 fuses blown and was stranded. So I jerked that junker out and got a new one from Crutchfield. Since than no major problems. Today though....
So when I was blowing fuses I replaced the windshield wiper's fuse since I would turn on the wipers and when I flipped the switch back to "off" it stops right there. Normally they return to the "seated" postition. So I can't remember if I never ran them or they were fixed by replacing the fuse (it wasn't blown, but I just came to the conclusion). So today I use the wipers and same problem, the wipers stop anywhere I turn it off at.
So please some help! My uncle another mopar fan said he had several cars do this to him, but he just lived with it. Well, for him not blowing up a car in a year is a miracle so he never found a cure. Last bit of info, I installed a Painless kit years ago and would crimp the last 6in of the old wire that was part of the pigtail to the new stuff. I don't think this is the problem, but I want to give you guys all the facts. Thanks for any input and I will return in a day or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:36 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
If your Wipers stop where you turn the switch "off", you should check and clean the connections in the wipers' motor. You should open the round cover and see if there's something wrong with the electric connections.

Are your wipers two speed or variable speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
runvs_826,

I had this same problem a few months ago. Here is the thread. On the second page, there are some shots of my wiper motor with the cover removed. I followed steponmebbbbboom's advice and everything works properly now. It took me a couple of tries to get it just right, but it paid off. Somehow the mechanism inside got out of sync and I just needed to put it back the way it was supposed to be.

Hope this helps,

Nat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:08 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
The year and option are important when it comes to wipers. I seem to remember that the 3/variable, but not the 2, speed wipers require that the switch be grounded as well as the motor for them to park right. That said, the most common cause is that the motor's internal park switch broke.

If the motor draws power and gets warm with IGN on and wipers off, check the grounds first.