Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Mold killer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I've noticed that the back of my front seat is covered in little mold dots about dime size. I wiped them off and sprayed it down with vinegar solution (going for the friendly kill and all) but it's already started to come back. Is there a safe product to rid my life of mold and not damage the vinyl by drying it out and making it brittle?

Thanks, Pat.

Post subject: mold killer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:12 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I would try some bleach dilluted in water. Mix in a container. You could use a sponge or towel to clean it with, be sure to wear some latex gloves. Put an old towel or rag on carpet in case any drips off applicator and try not to get any on any cloth. I would then go over it with a damp cloth then dry it. My next step would be to go over it with a vinyl- leather conditiner like Lexol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:22 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I'd be tempted to use a 7% solution of hydrogen peroxide rather than bleach, mostly because I am highly sensitive to the stink of chlorine bleach.

Lexol's okeh for leather; use 303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl unless you want it to rot, in which case use Armor-All.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:39 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
I'd be tempted to use a 7% solution of hydrogen peroxide rather than bleach, mostly because I am highly sensitive to the stink of chlorine bleach.

Lexol's okeh for leather; use 303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl unless you want it to rot, in which case use Armor-All.
I have 3% HP, do you think it will be strong enough to kill the mold? And what percent solution? I've also heard that pledge is good on vinyl and dashes to keep them soft and Armor all...baaaad. Unless you want to always use it. I think the rot happens when the treatment stops. Confirm or deny?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 pm 

Car Model:
Pledge is good on wooden furniture. I try to use tools (including chemical ones) for their intended purpose.

Grocery/pharmacy hydrogen peroxide isn't strong enough. Find a chemical supply house and buy a few litres of 35% hydrogen peroxide. Take it home, put on gloves, and dilute it to 7% with water. Makes a really good and comparatively safe all-purpose cleaner/disinfectant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
TekTrol is THE best at killing mold or mildew. I dont know if you can get it in Canada or not. We use it for everything. Its tons better than bleach, cheaper,and smells better,wont stain or mark surfaces and kills just about every kind of germ known.
My 02.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:27 am 

Car Model:
Looks like TekTrol is a phenol (carbolic acid)-based disinfectant. It's available in Canada, as it seems, though the linked supplier appears to sell it only in 208-litre containers; since it's to be diluted 1:256 with water, that would be enough to remove every last trace of mould from every last Valiant every made! :lol: Perhaps they can direct you to a supplier who'll sell you a smaller quantity; the U.S. suppliers I found online all say they cannot ship it to Canada — perhaps for the same reason we can't get Berryman's B12 ChemTool up here (they still use painted cans rather than paper labels, so no bilingual labelling as required by Canadian law :-( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:28 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I deal with a lot of mildew and mold in my trade.....

Mold and mildew grow on dirt/dust on the fabric. Cleaning the food source (dirt) will starve the lil critters. Tilex or other bathroom cleaner stuff should do it.

If the mould is in the fabric (often cotton) the vinyl is applied to you will never get rid of it.

Give the area a quick supplementary wipe once a week for a month .......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:31 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Maybe I'll go into the underground trekTrol dealing business for moldy A-body owners. It seems like a pretty niche market but I'm willing to make a go of it. I do love living in Canada but it sometimes has it's downsides, like shipping anything from the States and getting stiffed with huge brokerage fees and of course not being able to access super cool and caustic chemicals from every corner store. Or I could try and find something a little more over the counter and user friendly. :lol: There are some spray products available from brands such as Chlorox (so bleach) that claim to be a mold and germ killer but the application seems to be for hard surfaces and I was concerned that it might not be vinyl-safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:01 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Don't know if this will benefit you, but it worked for me with great success.

My 68 Val was moldy beyond belief when I got it. The entire interior was COVERED in mold. No joke I have the pics to back it up, and it was disgusting.

After cleaning wtih diluted bleach and tearing out the carpet I couldn't get the mold smell out.

I rented an air ionizer unit, cranked it up to mold killing level and put it in the car with the windows up over night. The next day, aired out the car (can be unhealthy to breath when doing a shock treatment like that) and it smelled much better. Also kept the mold from coming back ever since.

CE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:49 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I had a similar problem; after the car had been stored a few months in a unheated garage, I'd find the mold spotting the soft (but not the hard) vinyl. I could clean it off easily with vinyl cleaner, but it always came back. I found that using ArmorAll seemed to make it worse.

I now keep a small pail of desiccant and a can of mothballs in the car when it's not in use and the problem hasn't come back. The paradiclorobenzene mothballs are to keep any mice out - they don't seem deterred by napthalene mothballs.