Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hi all,

I'm new to the board. I don't actually own a car with a slant 6 in it. I'm actually an aluminum 215 Buick V8 guy ('62 Skylark is my daily driver) but I've always admired the slant 6 Valiant ever since I was in high school as one of my best friends had a '65... we drove that car all over the place on the weekends... I was always jealous of him because of that car.

Anyways, as to the purpose of this post... I have a Japanese friend who is an international student here in the U.S., and she's been wanting a compact American sedan from the 1960's. She's been asking me which models she should be looking for. I've been thinking about my own countless delemmas in trying to locate parts for the 215 V8 in my Skylark, which are scarce to say the least having only been used for three years in a handful of cars. She's not a mechanic, and I'm not much of one myself (I rely on the kindness of good friends who are far more knowledgeable than me). She's expressed to me that she want's a car that get's decent gas mileage, is reliable, has enough power to motor down the interstate, and one she can find parts for (engine wise). I suggested the straight six powered Falcons and Chevy II's. I then thought to myself, "I wonder if slant 6 parts are still readily available?" because if so, I'd love to suggest that she buy a Valiant... but only if she can take it somewhere to get it fixed if it breaks down.

Anyways, I know those on this board may be a bit biased since I'm sure passions run high for the slant 6 on this board, but I'd love to hear any opinions on the matter of parts availability (or any other ideas for that matter).

Thanks!

-Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
There's no real difficulty with parts availability for slant-6 engines and their ancillaries (fuel, ignition, electrical, transmission, etc.), and there's major slant-6 support out of Australia, too, which is a good bit closer to Japan than is North America. However, Japan has extremely strict vehicle import, emissions, safety, equipment, and roadworthiness regulations, even on private imports of old cars. Your friend will want to check very carefully to make sure she won't face a difficult and costly nightmare when the car gets to Japan.

Post subject: Know what you mean!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 pm 
Poser

Car Model:
Skreee, I can relate. I don't drive a car with a slant in it as well. But the engines and parts are stacking up in the garage. Long story. Welcome to the site! This is a great place even if you are Buick guy. :D There is one thing that you said that sums up this site to a T. "I rely on the kindness of good friends who are far more knowledgeable than me." Welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:29 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Quote:
There's no real difficulty with parts availability for slant-6 engines and their ancillaries (fuel, ignition, electrical, transmission, etc.), and there's major slant-6 support out of Australia, too, which is a good bit closer to Japan than is North America. However, Japan has extremely strict vehicle import, emissions, safety, equipment, and roadworthiness regulations, even on private imports of old cars. Your friend will want to check very carefully to make sure she won't face a difficult and costly nightmare when the car gets to Japan.
Actually, my friend is here in the U.S. long term, so she'd be buying and driving one here. So I was mostly inquiring into the availability of slant 6 parts in N. America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Oh, then no problem at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:59 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
hey Dan, you got me thinking when you said that Oz is closer to Japan than the US.
a quick check of Goog.earth and not so. Alaska to the northern tip of Japan is 3700 km,and Oz (northern tip) to southern tip of Japan is 4700 km.
from mid east coast of Oz to Japan is 7000 km as is mid west coast of the US.
still a damned long swim whichever way you go. :lol:
but IF the lady wanted to import a Mopar into Japan,then Oz is a better choice,as both countries have right hand drive.
there - I feel better now. :lol:

regards,Rod :D