Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:25 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
The FSM calls for Tool C-4113 to remove the pin (dowel) holding the lock plate to the steering shaft. This tool slips over the steering shaft and then you can crank down on the threaded bolt in the side of the tool and force the pin out the side of the steering shaft (works similiar to a steering wheel puller). The FSM says "DO NOT HAMMER" to remove the pin. I have been hammering that pin and it won't budge. Anybody ever removed that pin? How did you get it out? Is that tool or something similiar available today?

The lock plate must be removed in order to remove the ignition switch behind the plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:43 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I must be losing my marbles. I thought the columns I just did had a little wire snap ring holding the lock plate on. :shock:

In any event, I believe you have to push the plate down against the spring pressure to get whatever retainer out of it. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Y'need a lock plate remover tool. A well-stocked auto parts store will have one right next to the steering wheel puller.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:26 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
The FSM says "DO NOT HAMMER" to remove the pin. I have been hammering that pin and it won't budge. Anybody ever removed that pin? How did you get it out?
Oh :shock: :oops: I hammered mine out fine, many times! Did you remove the little cover that fits over the pin? It took me awhile to figure that one out... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:34 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
I hammered mine out fine, many times! Did you remove the little cover that fits over the pin? It took me awhile to figure that one out... :roll:
The FSM instructions show the sleeve around the pin and a reminder to take it off in order to get to the pin. I had no problem removing it.

I have determined the ignition switch is good, therefore I will not remove the pin. The steering column is going back together. I did change the gear shift bulb with a new 161 bulb. Sure was a pain to get to that bulb.

Dan, I really believe your area auto parts stores must be better stocked than the stores in my area. I hit a dead end with ordering that puller.

Thanks for everbody's help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:27 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
I hammered mine out fine, many times!
Might that have something to do with your collapsed, collapsible steering column…?