Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Wiper Springs
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:03 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Anyone know if the springs in the wiper arms are available? or what size they are? 1960 Valiant. These are the straight arms not the ones with the adjuster round end ones.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:31 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Not serviced as separate components, and never were. You might find generic springs you could use. They need to be very strong. You'll also find clip-on external "helper" springs that look schlock and don't work and fall off.

Better: Get two Anco #4103 universal replacement wiper arms. They're fully adjustable for correct length and blade angle, and are really well made. They also come with nicely-designed adaptors to fit on the pre-1965 screw-down wiper shafts. I had worried they'd be ugly, but really, they look just fine and work well. There's also probably enough room to go to 13" blades rather than the original 12s if you adjust the arm length strategically.

Post subject: wiper springs
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:24 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I found at a local ACE hardware store-- a spring that was very close & had the strength to do the the trick. They should have a section of nuts/bolts & springs-- It is a pain to swap them but it can be done, Lawrence

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:00 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I called my local parts store and they can order them ANCO 4103.

Also, I wanted you to know that I ordered the "recommended" intake/exhaust gasket from the Aussies. Can't wait to install it. My exhaust manifold cracked at the bolt closest to the firewall and I have been driving with it like that for some time. I purchased an aluminum intake setup and set in place with an original MOPAR "shim" gasket until the better one arrives. I went ahead and ordered an extra one for my 60 Valiant also to save on shipping. "Sport" is fine but better to be prepared and save on shipping!

Since I've got the time, I'm redoing the breather, repainted the washers for the manifolds, and generally cleaning up the beast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:28 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 63 Dart 81 D150
I just had the same problem on my Dart. I found a drum brake spring in my bucket at work that fit with a little cutting and bending, and it was free.

TopHat

Post subject: Found them
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
A smaller auto parts store had a nice pair Anco 41-02 arms and the new blades as well. They are smaller then I like but still have the red dot and work fine.
By the way, the 41-03 has a wider tongue connector then the 41-02 and didn't fit the blades.
But I now know that I could have replaced the spring if I would have taken the arms off first.
I felt a sense of urgency when driving with a flopping wiper arm in Seattle on a rainy Spring day.