Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:21 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Note: if the pics have a red and white border around them click onto the pic and it will clear up.

My first ever slant: a 1971 Plymouth Satelite with 225 and automatic. It had been purchased new by a retiree to tow behind a motorhome. It had about 77k original but some cancer to include rust through spots on the hood. I gave $125 for it on Fort Dix, New Jersey in 1990. A friend pulled the engine out and we dropped it into this:

I gave $100 for this 1970 Dart (also on Fort Dix) and dropped the Plymouth's slant into it as it's original slant had a pretty serious knock in it. I drove it for a few months and then traded it to a Staff Sergeant named Ivanovich from NYC for a Monte Carlo.

Eventually I bought this 170 slant/automatic 1968 Valiant in Browns Mill, NJ for $165:

The 'primer' is actually gray house paint applied by the previous owner who also owned a lumber yard. He owned the car for about eighteen years and took real good care of it. I seem to remember mileage being 115k or so. Eventually I got it painted and it looked like this:

In June of 1991 I drove it from New Jersey back to my home state of Oklahoma on $51 worth of gas. I then sold it for $300 to a friend who begged me for it. He was (is) notorious for killing cars but drove this one for three years before losing it to a loan company for a past due amount of $80.

I found this 1964 Dart with 170/3 speed standard in Meridian, Oklahoma in January of 1992 and gave $150 for it. It had a knock in it but ran great. Eventually I swapped out it's engine and tranny for a low mileage combo out of a '63 four door (no title) that I drove home for $50.

This was how it looked after being t-boned on the ice of I-44 near Fort Sill in January of 1993.

I saved the SBP mags and threw them on my last slant, a 1969 Valiant with 225 and auto that set me back $300.

I got rid of it about 1993 and didn't own a slant again until 2007 when I bought this one for my daughter off Craigslist - she picked it out by the way and she loves it's styling.

It's a 1961 Plymouth Savoy with a 225, 904 automatic (push button), less than 95k original and was stored in a barn from 1975 until 2005. We actually bought it in a Route 66 ghost town called Bridgeport, Oklahoma.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/karkev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
My dad and I both want a Savoy just like that! I have always liked just how far beyond bizarre Chrysler was with their styling back then. Absolutely stunning car design.

As for military stuff, it seems like cars cost a tenth of what they cost off base. I usually bought the "unit car"- the one everybody had owned once. 1970 Chevelle SS rust bucket for $375 (sold the rear end and bumper for more than that!), 1963 Beetle, another 1970 Malibu rust bucket for $125, a Passat for $15, another Beetle for $15 (just for the dual port heads and new cylinder tin), a Saab for $5 with a burnt valve, and a 1974 Vega in mint condition with 50K actual miles for $500 that I dropped a new crate motor in. I was fortunate enough to be stationed in Germany for 8 years so the autobahn made for some fun times!

Amazing how you stuck with the slant six formula. Keep progress pics coming for that Savoy. They're my favorite Mopar besides the Superbee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:36 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
nice cars the one your daughter has is very nice and I bet it is the only one at her school :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:58 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
old Mopars.....

i just cant get enough of them

thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:13 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Quote:
As for military stuff, it seems like cars cost a tenth of what they cost off base. I usually bought the "unit car"- the one everybody had owned once. 1970 Chevelle SS rust bucket for $375 (sold the rear end and bumper for more than that!), 1963 Beetle, another 1970 Malibu rust bucket for $125, a Passat for $15, another Beetle for $15 (just for the dual port heads and new cylinder tin), a Saab for $5 with a burnt valve, and a 1974 Vega in mint condition with 50K actual miles for $500 that I dropped a new crate motor in. I was fortunate enough to be stationed in Germany for 8 years so the autobahn made for some fun times!
Yep! Best place in the army to buy a car was the back lot of base housing - especially when the MPs were threatening to tow the ones that hadn't moved in a few months :lol: !

Thanks for the kind words, ya'll!