Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:48 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Post how the swap goes I'm putting a '83 /6 in my 66 baracuda I'm staring @ 2 wiring harnesses with a blank stare! I didn't have the luxury of pulling either engine (yeah bought a half finished project... Again!) already swapped pans have engine & trans bolted in the car waiting patiently... Just need to know about the throttle linkage and wiring harnesses... Any advice or ideas appreciated

-Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:00 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Brian, is your '66 an automatic? If so, is the transmission a '67 or earlier unit? If you're using a '68 or later engine in front of a '67 or earlier transmission, you need an adaptor ring between the (larger) crankshaft bore and the (smaller) torque converter nose.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:30 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I think I can tell you how to tell which harness is from the newer vehicl, at least from what I just went thru pulling the motor from an 82 Ram.. Look at the wires going to the distributor, the 82 has (2) 2 wire plugs, the 71 dart only had 1.. Also there is only one wire on the Oil Pressure sending switch on the 71, the 82 had a 3 wire switch . HTH .. On my project, I need to get a oil pan gasket kit and a new oil pressure sender for the 71, and a different distributor, I need an electronic distributor with one 2 wire plug and a vaccum can, then it will be ready to be installed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:06 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Guess what, took longer than I thot to get to this project,, I have the engine installed now, here are some issues that others may find interesting, I solved the ignition issue by installing a Pertronix points eliminator on the 71 distributor, also The dipstick on the 82 truck engine is in the pan, which cannot be used due to center sump being utilized in the dart, however all you need to do is take out the aluminum plug, its in the same location on the truck block, and install the old dipstick, also the truck was manual steering, but all looks the same, so when I installed PS bracket, the pulley is 1 3/8 in too far forward?? Seems the alignment of the crank pulley on the damper is farther forward on the truck engine for some reason. Solved this by welding a plate on the bottom of the PS bracket and drilling some holes to move the PS bracket and pump back the required distance. The only other issue is the difference in the throttle linkage,,, the Holley 1920 is a rear throttle or front to rear,, the 2bbl on the truck is on the drivers side,, so I need to get the down rod to move with throttle but will have to fab some type of attachment for the down rod actuator.. not too bad tho.. HTH anyone else.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:16 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
The trans adaptor ring is only needed when installing a '68-up engine in front of a '67 or earlier automatic transmission. If swapping a '68-up engine in front of a '68-up auto trans, no adaptor is needed.
The adapter bushing is easy to make, and needing one gives you a reason to add a lathe to your tool collection.

Ken
:-)