Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Control Arm Bushing Q's
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 pm 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
Has anyone used the Just Suspension LCA poly bushing with all other parts stock rubber? I'm curious if the ride is affected too much and if they squeek. They double the price of the bushings, but it looks like a much simplerinstallation. They also offer replacement shafts with or without a zerk to lube the bushing, but the shafts are pricey.

What about Moog offset UCA bushings? Are the caster adjustments they allow of any value in a stock narrow A-body with a completely rebuilt suspension??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
MOOG offset bushing are great as they allow for more positive caster adjustment, which is good, especially for power steering. This will keep your car more 'stable' at higher speeds, such as on the freeway. If you have manual steering and adjust more than 2 degrees of positive caster, it can be a real, real pain to turn the steering wheel when slow moving.

Some people go with buying aftermarket UCAs that allow for more positive caster, or even adjustable aftermarket UCAs which allow for more adjustment. Personally, MOOG offset UCA bushings work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:55 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I have used Moog off set UCA bushing, they will give about 3 degrees additional caster adjustment. My car was out -6 degrees left, -3 degrees right, and was never able to make up enough + caster to have good handling. Don’t know if the factory UCA’s were slightly twisted or there is a frame issue with my old Dart.

This spring I installed a pair of CAP tubular UCA’s that give up to + 9 degrees caster adjustment which allowed an equal setting of +2.25 degrees. These units came with urethane bushings. Oddly one side squeaks loudly, and the other side is silent, silicone spray will quiet that squeak for a few hundred miles, than “it’s backâ€￾...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:18 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
i have a question about the offset bushing installation. i was under the impression that the os bushing was needed for more pos. camber. i am doing my own alignment ( 76 scamp ) and need to remove some castor to get back my camber. so is the bushing installed in the rear of the control arm for more castor while the stock front bushing will give a good camber reading, or in the front location for more pos. camber. i can measure the camber but the castor i have to do with test drive for that one.
thanks
jd