Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: caliper dilema
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:13 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Maybe you guys can help me out here. I am doing the standard factory front disk brake swap, onto my '76 Dart. All parts were pulled from a '76 Dart as well, a couple years back. The piston bore in my calipers got some surface rust from sitting, and I wasn't thrilled with how well they (didn't) clean up. Since I like to do things right, I decided to order a new set from NAPA. However, every caliper they had access to, had Phenolic pistons... A friend suggested getting them anyway, and just swapping my steel pistons into the new housings. Perfect, or so I thought.

My original MoPar calipers have a 2 9/16" steel piston, the NAPA calipers have a 2 3/4" Phenolic piston. So the piston swap appears to be a no-go. I feel like I'm at an impasse, and could use some advice or ideas on how to proceed. Below are a couple pictures of a piston bore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
'76 A-body calipers were upsized to 2.75" bore; '73-'75 are 2.6". Why hating on phenolic pistons? I'd rather have them than steel, but the four rebuilt calipers I picked up last week have steel ones. I'd put the phenolic pistons back in the calipers and run 'em. If you gotta-just-gotta have steel pistons, Dorman First Stop P7504S or NAPA UP85003S.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Why hating on phenolic pistons? I'd rather have them than steel...
Simply because between Tom Condran's book and reading on here, the general consensus seems to be avoid them, period. That's all... It'll be another day before I have the suspension back together to receive calipers. We'll see what gets said here between now and then, but I may just take your advice!

Thanks for the excellent info on the bore sizes, I'll have to make note of that in my book. Part #s are always good to have as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
Simply because between Tom Condran's book
Tom Condran's storybook is full of made-up nonsense.
Quote:
and reading on here, the general consensus seems to be avoid them
Says who/where? They do a better job of isolating the brake fluid from the brake pads' heat. They don't rust. They're more dimensionally stable across a wider temperature range. They're lighter. What's not to like?

(Added NAPA part number for the steel piston)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Phenolic pistons always seemed like a good idea to me but I've never performed any serious testing on them. The mfgs don't seem to use them anymore but I don't know why. It would be an interesting question to ask an engineer from Brembo or a place like that. Maybe there is some issue with those pistons that I'm not aware of. Of course, it could also be as easy as mfg cost or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I think the phenolic pistons have a bad rep for warping and sticking in their bores. Carter Thermoquads have a similar reputation but I think it has more to do with the guys who have been working on them screwing them up. I'm pretty sure Ford has been using phenolic caliper pistons on a lot of their cars up until recently. I'd just bolt them on and go, I mean STOP! :shock:

-James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:14 am 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
Not long after I bought my new '73 D100, I had some brake drag problems. The dealer blamed it on phenolic pistons and said it was a common warranty problem. That's the only experience I've had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:54 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Phenolic pistons need a little more care so they do not get gouged when they are installed. I suspect some problems might be from assembly damage and the chips getting lodged in the bore.

Really, they work fine.

If you want to get rid of the rust, try soaking the calipers in white vinegar for a few days - to a week. It will clean it all up. Then just follow up with a brass brush and maybe some scotchbrite and a good rinse with alcohol.

Post subject: There OK
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:34 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I have a set of preloaded calipers with phenolics in them and I haven't had a problem with them leaking or any fade in stopping suddenly. They
are only a few years old and only have a few drag races and emergency stops on them.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:08 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
It looks like the score is a lot vs. none, so I'll run 'em the way they came. Thanks for the input, guys!