Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Fuel Pump leaking
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:16 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 63 Dart GT Convertible
My stock '63 225 fuel pump leaks more gas than what is getting to the carb. Can it be rebuilt, or do I have to replace the entire unit? I just cleaned out the carb (bowl was 1/4" deep of crud), replaced filter, and blew jets. Runs fine, but I don't care for the splash pools when I park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:43 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Replace it. They are inexpensive.

Make absolutely sure it hasen't leaked internally. Fuel in the engine oil will destroy the engine in short order.

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:02 am 
3 Deuce Weber

I agree and the replacement pumps I've seen online are inexpensive. However, the ones I search for that supposedly are for my car don't look anything like the one I have on there right now. The one I have has a screwed top, while the replacements are sealed. I assume the replacements will work fine; they are just an updated design?

Also, I've read on other threads about fuel line rusting and fuel hose deterioration. Should I be worried about this as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
You can use the current-production pump on your '63; it'll fit and work. But the '60-'63 pumps (which I like better, especially compared to the low-quality pumps presently available) can easily be rebuilt — it takes about half an hour working carefully. You'll need a rebuild kit, which comes from here; assuming yours is the original pump, you'll need to order a kit for a Carter number M2996s pump. If yours is a non-original pump, you'll need to report the brand and numbers on it to the kit supplier.

Tools required are completely basic: needlenose pliers, screwdriver, hammer and punch, bench vise.

While you are in the vicinity, you may want to do the Fuel line mod.

(You need to stop driving this car now. Do not crank the engine until the fuel pump leak is fixed. If you need to throw a cheap over-the-counter pump on it to get it running for now while you rebuild the original, do so.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:12 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Thanks Dan. Yes, the car is parked, and not being driven. I took off the fuel pump, it was the original, and sure enough, the diaphragm was cracked, and that is where the fuel was leaking. I'll be giving the folks at your suggested place a call tomorrow. They also had a link to a pictorial of the rebuild process that appears to be very thorough. I'm looking forward to the fun!

I haven't ever had a problem with the fuel lines, so I probably won't be doing the fuel line mod. What's the normal problem? Fuel boiling and vapor lock, or stalling? No fuel to the carb? That hasn't been an issue yet for me.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:34 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
I haven't ever had a problem with the fuel lines, so I probably won't be doing the fuel line mod.
The mod isn't to fix a problem that puts a hard stop to your ability to drive the car. It's an upgrade that makes the car easier to start cold or hot with today's gasoline formulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:51 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Success!! I rebuilt the fuel pump, and that was pretty easy. I installed it on the car, and it is pumping like a champ, and no fuel is leaking. Thanks for the tips, they are greatly appreciated. I also rebuilt the carb, because it was also dripping from behind the diaphragm.

Now I have another issue. It runs great, idles great, accelerates great, steady throttle is great, but it hesitates at aggressive throttle tip in. When I feather the acceleration, no problems at all: progressive, smooth acceleration. But when I punch it, it feels as if it stalls, the car lurches, then it catches and accelerates fine. It does this at any speed, from stop or going 35mph, in any gear. However, the engine revs fine without the "stall" when I rev it in neutral. So it only happens under load. Like I said, I just rebuilt the carb (all I did was replace gaskets and diaphragm). Could this be a timing/spark advance issue? I'm afraid I just know enough to be dangerous. The car is stock, 225, three on the tree, I'll post some photos next week when I get a chance on the photo thread. Any help greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 am 

Car Model:
Good work on the fuel pump rebuild. It is pretty easy, eh! Make sure your distributor vacuum advance and its hose are in good shape. If you can suck air through the vacuum advance hose (rather than creating a vacuum) then the hose and/or advance need replaced. Carburetor operation and repair manuals (and some training movies) are posted here for free download. And Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Have you adjusted the valves?