Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:13 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Should I have vacuum at hot idle from the port on the carb that is meant for the distributor vacuum advance ? Mine was originally routed thru the OSAC valve, but I nixed that years ago. At hot idle, the nipple shows me 12" of vacuum and goes upwards of 20-21" at higher speeds. I thought that this nipple wasn't suppose to show any vacuum until you were moving faster than idle. Am I incorrect here ? Thanks in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:35 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If you lower your idle so the throttle plates are closed, it will go to zero at the ported vacuum fitting. The point is to get the plates closed down so it isn't pulling vacuum. You may have to modify your idle mixture adjustment to be sure it stays running.

It is a common tuning error.

If you can't get it to go to zero and idle well, then there are other problems.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:27 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
No. Your distributor should be connected to a port on the carb that has no vacuum at idle and has vacuum when the throttle opens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The correct answer on '75 and later carbs, including the 1945, is that it depends on the transmission type (automatic, manual) and emissions package (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck; Federal, California, Canada) the particular carburetor is for. I'll scan the relevant pages from the relevant service bulletin when I get a minute, but in a nutshell, manifold vacuum was applied to the spark advance port on certain carburetors for cars with automatic transmissions and certain emissions packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:10 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for the info Ted, Reed and Dan. I suspected something was up w/ this carb. Dan, I will await to hear back from you on the final answer. Ted & Reed, your answers do make sense to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:15 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Quote:
The correct answer on '75 and later carbs, including the 1945, is that it depends on the transmission type (automatic, manual) and emissions package (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck; Federal, California, Canada) the particular carburetor is for. I'll scan the relevant pages from the relevant service bulletin when I get a minute, but in a nutshell, manifold vacuum was applied to the spark advance port on certain carburetors for cars with automatic transmissions and certain emissions packages.
Wow, learn something new every day. I thought it was always the ported nipple for the distributor. Never knew Mopar used full vacuum on certain applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:00 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Well at this point I am gonna do what Ted says and see if that drops the vacuum at the port to 0. Thanks to member matv91, I was able to identify that my 1945 carb is probably a pieced together rebuilt.I would still love to hear from SSD if there were any 1975 or later 1945 carbs that had vacuum from this port all the time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:14 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
I would still love to hear from SSD if there were any 1975 or later 1945 carbs that had vacuum from this port all the time....
...? You already did hear from me that there are '75 and later 1945 carbs with manifold (full time) vacuum to the distributor advance port.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:40 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Oh OK I apoligize. Thought that previous post of yours was a "I'm not sure- I'm going to check" and not a "I'm quite sure and these are the facts"

My misunderstanding. Thank you for the education..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:22 pm 

Car Model:
Ah, yeah, it was "I'm sure, and I'll post proof when I can." :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:55 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
OK then let me ask, on these engines (1975 and newer) that have full manifold vacuum at idle, how is the vacuum advance can set up? If vacuum at idle is say, 12" would the vacuum advance can be adjusted so it wouldn't engage until 13" or 14" ? Can the advance can be adjusted that high up ? (Please be patient I'm learning)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:14 pm 

Car Model:
No, the idea is that the vacuum advance is active (advancing) at idle on those carbs that have manifold vacuum to the spark advance port.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:24 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
OK, but would it be desirable to have that much advance at say 1000 rpm ? (right off idle) By 1200 rpm I would assume the vacuum advance would be fully engaged and not there for the higher cruise speeds ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:54 pm 

Car Model:
By 1000rpm there'd be no real difference in the vacuum level at the advance pod regardless of whether the carb provides vacuum at idle or not. The difference is at and just off idle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Your last post has me a little confused (not uncommon for me )LOL. Should your vacuum advance start to come in right off of idle ? I would assume it would until the centrifugal advance starts to kick in ? At higher RPM when centrifugal advance really comes in, is the vacuum advance still advancing the timing in addition to centrifugal or is in inactive by then ?
(again thank you for the education here)