Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Interesting headers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:55 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
This ad on Argentina's equivalent of eBay is certainly interesting. Take a look at the pictures. This used set looks like it needs some cleanup on the welds, but the AR$200 price equates to about USD$60, and the maker themselves offer new ones for the equivalent of about USD$140.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:11 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
aren't the pipes going the wrong way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:26 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
aren't the pipes going the wrong way?
Nope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6hFGzLJMc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:46 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Where's ArgentinaSlantsixer when you need him? :shock:
Juan?
It'd be good to find out how well they are made.

The new headers in the picure aren't for a slant six, they are for something else entirely. You are correct, that would be going the wrong way. Look at the spacing for the exhaust ports as well. :wink:

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:31 am 

Car Model:
Right — the new-headers ad is a type of listing we don't see on the American eBay. It's a company basically advertising their whole product line and using Mercadolibre (Argentinian eBay) as an online storefront. Buyers ask for a set of headers for their particular application, the seller answers, the buyer completes the transaction and gets the headers for his particular need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:13 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
That is quite interesting. Thanks for finding those, Dan. I wonder what vehicle these fit?

Polara1974, where are you....?

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:21 am 

Car Model:
Well, I've been watching their "storefront" listing for several months now, and while I don't speak Spanish, Google Translate gives a workable sense of what's being discussed. It appears to me that they make headers for various slant-6 applications, including Valiant III and Valiant IV (='63-'66 Dart) and Dodge Coronado, GTX, and Polara (~'67-'76 Dart). Don't know if they make them to suit Valiant I and Valiant II ('60-'62).

But yeah, I bet Polara1974 would have some apposite comments. About the only information I have so far is that the headers do block starter access. I'm not sure if that would be the case with a mini starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:44 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
It's somewhat amazing the state of slant six performance parts that we're buying intake manifolds from Australia and considering headers from Argentina. If I didn't already have a new set of the long-discontinued Clifford long tube headers for '67+ cars I'd be very interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:50 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'll forward this link to my Daughter for translation. These look very interesting. Wonder what shipping to the U.S. would add to the price.
The heat stove is an interesting feature.

60 Valiant wagon, 225
87 Maxi-Van, 318 4spd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:12 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
I'll forward this link to my Daughter for translation. These look very interesting. Wonder what shipping to the U.S. would add to the price.
The heat stove is an interesting feature.
Yes I like the carb Heat too :-)

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:48 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
When the headers get built for my Daytona they will look a whole lot like those. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:15 pm 

Car Model:
The heat stove and the collector outlet placement caught my eye, too — and in Argentina, many slant-6 Dodges came with power steering and air conditioning, which I think improves the odds of these headers fitting American cars with that equipment.

As for the heat stove itself, it is a neat idea, but I'm not sure I like the idea of "always on" exhaust heating of the intake. I'm just making wild guesses at this point, because there are a lot of variables; perhaps the relatively low volume flow rate off of just one cylinder (compared to the blast from all six) means "always on" is not a big deal. But I couldn't help thinking of this Jeep heat riser valve, which is a standalone unit meant to sandwich between the exhaust manifold outlet and the top of the headpipe on a V8 engine. Seems to me a unit like this could be placed in the stub pipe between the header and the intake. The thermostatic spring would have to be reversed so the valve plate would be spring-loaded open until heated up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:17 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
We should have the NEW AUSSIE SPEED headers done within the next month or 2. I have them test fitting them now.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:42 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Here I am!

Here we do get like 4 / 6 different brand for Slant Six headers, this is a very common upgrade. You can get those from low to high quality, and the price range for a new set can vary from ARP 300 to ARP 2000.- (USD 80 to USD 530).

The most common header here is the two piece 3-1 + 3-1 configuration, like the ones I'm running on my 1974 Polara RT. You got the collector below the steering box.

You can have them to fit power steering and air condition as well and they do NO block the starter, but sure it gets a little tricky to remove them.

But if you have a mini starter is an easy job, I have moved from regular to mini starter with my headers on very easy.

Here are some links to the best companies that produce headers:
http://www.caniossilen.com/ (the best company EVER in Argentina)
http://www.kiggr.com/Escapes_Especiales_Gobbo (used to be a Cañossilen partner)

There are also a lot of companies like ESCAPESSILENS (the one that Dan just mentioned) that produce the headers for the Slant, with good quality also, but not a top quality like Cañosslien, Gobbo or Maradona.

About engine bay fitting you have to consider that all our Valiants, Chrysler and Dodge cars share the SAME engine bay, bebeingt an EARLY "A" BODY design, from our Valiant V200 to our latest Dodge Coronado the engine bay is the same. Also for the "K" member and the steering box location.

SlantSixDan our Coronado / Polara / RT / GTX do not share the 67-76 Dart engine bay/wheelbase, they use the same engine bay and wheelbase as the Valiant IV (Dart '66).

If you are running a Slant Six on an 67-76 A Body I think that this headers are NOT the way to go, since this are designed to work on early A body engine bay with a very tight fit, you can make your own custom headers to work better and take some advantage of your extra room.

For the heat riser we rararelyare about it, if it's deleted better!!! When we think of moving to headers performance is the goal, so we do not want them (hotter mixture less performance.. you know how it goes).

So let me know if you have more question about them! I'll try to collect some pictures of cars with headers in different configurations for you to check.

Regards! Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:26 pm 

Car Model:
Great info! I look forward to seeing those pictures. Didn't know the Coronado and Polara were all on the pre-'67 underpinnings! I thought they were on the '67-up wider platform like the Spanish-made 3700GT...interesting!