Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ok so the motor is a 1980+ 225 hydraulic slant with a worn out BBS sitting on top. I'm looking at a rebuild with consideration to turbocharging it in the future.

The idea here is to get some of the pre-emissions era performance back with a few extras to get myself into some local drag racing events.. Eitherway this is what I've came up with so far..

Intake: Modified 1bbl manifold to fit a 318 BBD transversely

Exhaust: Ported stock manifold with larger downpipe and system adapted to stock manifold (keeping heat riser, can't afford dutras)

Camshaft: Erson 270* duration 465" lift 110 center - with lifters/retainers

Head: Plaining for around 10:1, this way I can turbocharge later on using the lower sitting 2.2 pistons with 198 rods, theoretically bringing my cpr down enough to handle some boost. I'll figure out the numbers once i know what headgasket im using and what the current CCs are. If i could afford it i would get bigger valves done at the same time but that can come later..

Ignition: I have a new GM HEI coil left over from my fiero i am going to employ with an accel module. Might go for the rev limiter version since i'm not revving above 5000 yet.

Other considerations include: ARP main and head bolts, electric fan and waterpump, and water injection.

Right now the car has manual steering and brakes, but that isn't an issue. I already got some 14" 4 1/4 wheels from a later model valiant and some 195/70/14s on it so that should help. The transmission is a rebuilt A-904, i believe it could have some sort of shift kit of some variety because it shifts real hard under 2500rpm.. could be mistaken thought.

I think I'm on the right track to land around 160 horsepower if i can get the carb tuning and timing curve figured out.

Thanks for reading,

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
With your tight budget in mind I would mill the head to get a decent compression ratio as you said, but use another head that hasn't been cut when you turbocharge the engine. Also 10:1 is a bit much for the Erson 270, but I wouldn't use any more cam duration without a high stall torque converter.

I would not bother with ARP head or main bolts on a mild normally aspirated engine. If you plan on spinning the engine over 5k RPM I would use ARP rod bolts.

Since your engine has hydraulic lifters are you going to get mechanical valve gear to go along with the Erson cam? Have you considered using Oregon Cam Grinding or another cam grinder to save some money and get a cam better suited to your build?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:31 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ah Joshie your right.. I havn't fully taken the hydraulic factor into consideration. I'm sure i'd be better off to go with a different brand for the cam with hydraulic lifters since i want to keep the engine somewhat original (regardless if its newer than the car). Are you saying 10:1 should be used with a hotter cam? I thought 10:1 is somewhat conservative considering i'd be using water injection and a higher octane fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:42 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Aaron
You can still use Erson Cams for your build. They can regrind your stock Hydro cam or provide you with a NEW Hydro cam.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:34 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Sure, if you want to run high octane fuel and water injection you can use a very high static compression ratio.

There are a few drawbacks to the hydraulic lifters and valve gear that have been covered at length.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:21 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
One of the problems with my project car is that it has had an engine swap.. Its a 64' Canadian v200 Valiant with a push-button shifter, but i have an 80's (i think) blue block with several components blocked off to use a 60's configuration. Not like this is a big issue, but If I'm going to plan ahead i should build a earlier engine (this one is pretty tired, and i might go for a 170cid). That way i could also opt out for mechanical lifters/cam..

Now what i should do is install a HEI ignition and possibly the 2 barrel BBD on my current engine. Then focus on the chassis, exhaust, and track down an older block to rebuild.. And i could use my old head for the turbo later on :)

I've been really interested in EFI using Megasquirt for a few years now.. but given my budget and future turbo dream I'm going to get the fundamentals done first.

Post subject: hydro or solid
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:43 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Just a thought,, My 1980 Volare' had a solid lifter cam. Maybe Canada built were diffrent. Did you open it up ?