Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:58 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
The ones I have had trouble with, Have a grey "epoxie" type paint. it is very tough, and hard to scrape of in the mounting bolt area. One way to check if this is the problem, is the regulator case will not make a ground, but you can take a clip (jumper) lead, and connect one end to a good ground and the other end to the little bracket on the regulator, that retains the plug. Then it should charge.
PS: don't leave it that way. That is just to test. Take the POS regulator back.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I don't know what brand of regulator you/they used, but there are issues with the BWD brand. The case is not connected internally, so the regulator does not get a ground. Standard motor products knows there is a problem (I called them about it, after finding 5 bad ones in 3 dipart stores), and they told me they changed suppliers. However the bad ones are still on the shelf. They were never pulled.[/quote]fferent

That is just unreal! Very interesting and informative info.
Can you imagine all the hassles and hairpulling that is going on because of this screw up. I guess the test you performed would be the best way to test for the bad VR's.

The Good Life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:24 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:

That is just unreal! Very interesting and informative info.
Can you imagine all the hassles and hairpulling that is going on because of this screw up. I guess the test you performed would be the best way to test for the bad VR's.
I pulled my hair out, trying to help another member, over the phone. As luck would have it, I got a older dodge into the shop 2 days later, to upgrade the alternater, convert to electronic regulator, and add a WOT cutout switch. That's when I discovered the problem.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:33 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Ever had one that looks good charge voltage but not very much current that battery is barely charged, just enough to go by daily except for extreme cold? Wirings are good and battery is new.

For my 1987 caravan, it is a voltage regulator for this, not computer. And is same as your slant six voltage regulators so I need to know where to get good one?

I can get from carquest, NAPA or PartSource (canadian tire's arm of auto parts).

Cheers, Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:55 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Quote:
Ever had one that looks good charge voltage but not very much current that battery is barely charged, just enough to go by daily except for extreme cold? Wirings are good and battery is new.

Cheers, Wizard
Your problem is not the regulator, if the charging voltage is 13.8-14.2 volts. Could be a bad alternator, bad battery, or high resistance in the B+ wire between the alt, and the battery.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:15 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Here's some follow up:

It's been just over a month, with no issues. NAPA Echlin VR, the premium one, supposedly made in Mexico. I took off on a road trip last week, and made it to Billings, MT before my battery decided to become a tea kettle. NAPA kindly warrantied both it and the VR, which was actually made in China. Only problem was that the new VR was still letting 16 volts by, though down from the 18 with the last one...

But the store manager did confirm that Echlin is no longer in existence. Standard just slaps an Echlin sticker on the stuff it sends to NAPA. Charlie_S, thanks for the info. It apparently isn't limited to the gray epoxy ones. The last two I had were chrome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:54 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
If you are not running electronic ignition try a VR from a mid 60's Imperial-they have a small hole that you can adjust the voltage to what you want.
Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:18 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
had a similar overcharge issue and the fix ended up being using a pair of needle nose pliers and slightly crimping the terminals in the VR connector to achieve good connection. seems they will spread over years of on and off. mine was throwing 18 volts. also ended up using the napa premium reg. andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:09 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:
Here's some follow up:

It's been just over a month, with no issues. NAPA Echlin VR, the premium one, supposedly made in Mexico. I took off on a road trip last week, and made it to Billings, MT before my battery decided to become a tea kettle. NAPA kindly warrantied both it and the VR, which was actually made in China. Only problem was that the new VR was still letting 16 volts by, though down from the 18 with the last one...

But the store manager did confirm that Echlin is no longer in existence. Standard just slaps an Echlin sticker on the stuff it sends to NAPA. Charlie_S, thanks for the info. It apparently isn't limited to the gray epoxy ones. The last two I had were chrome.

I had the same issue yesterday with my truck. It had a Napa/echlin vr that was on the truck when I bought it. On a 50 mile highway trip it boiled the battery so much that it wouldnt crank the engine.

A bit of research showed that I was missing the engine to firewall ground strap.

I put on a ground cable and a new voltage regulator this morning.

I figured the battery would be toast, but I added nearly a quart of water and it came back to life. I drove it 150 miles this afternoon without incident. I have a feeling it won't last very long though.