Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:04 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Does anyone know if there's any kind of blade fuse adapter to use in a glass fuse box. I would like to convert my my early A's to blade fuse and if an adapter is available, that would be the easiest way to go.

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Even if such a device existed -- which it doesn't -- it would be a very poor idea. You'd be adding two additional contact points to make problems...at each and every fuse. Glass fuses work fine; what is your objection to them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Thanks for the info. No objections to glass fuses; however in my rural area it seems they are harder to find compared to the blade type. Since the blade type seems to be so common, I thought if an adapter were available to work in my stock fuse panel, it might be the way to go. I didn't think of the additional electrical issues such an adapter might present - good point!

Retired USAF 1966-1986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. No objections to glass fuses; however in my rural area it seems they are harder to find compared to the blade type.
Stock up with 10 times the number of glass fuses you'll ever reasonably need, and you'll still have spent less time, effort, and money on the project than trying for a fuse adaptor.

Post subject: Conversion...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:07 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Same problem here...glass is going Bye-Bye in all the stores in the area. I have to stock up. The fuse block in my duster had seen better days, the corrosion and rust on the contacts eventually rotted back to the connections at the fuseblock. I went to one of the 'non-public' auto parts stores in town (the one I have to use my buddy's company's name and account...). Got two universal blade fuse blocks (the '76 has two circuits- always hot, and "ignition on" is hot)... cut the old block out, stripped and cut the wires back to good copper and installed the blocks...
Light seem brighter and I can stop stocking a fist full of fuses in my ash tray...

LOL...

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:29 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Radio Shack and electronic stores have the glass fuses.............

(just curious, where do you find the old VW style fuses.......)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 am 

Car Model:
The major fuse companies (Buss, Littelfuse) still have the "ceramic" (type GBC) fuses for older European cars. They're made out of plastic, now. It's never been a very good fuse design. Time was, Buss sold nice glass ones with pointy nickelplate ends, but now they just sell the same plastic ones everyone else sells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I bought a big collection of glass fuses from J.C.Whitney a few years ago; they seem to look and work OK and were quite inexpensive. Harbor Freight also sells big kits, but their plastic blade fuses were recalled for causing fires, so I don't know about the quality of their glass fuses.

I'm seeing some of my orig. fuses become open w/o burning out & w/o apparent cause - I suspect that after ~40 years thermal cycling is taking its toll. It might be wise to consider replacing all the fuses (and cleaning the contacts) at one time.

In my 25 yr old AMC, some of the orig. plastic blade fuses started getting hot (due to corrosion) and began to slowly melt and smell... at least my glass ones didn't do that.

Post subject: Re: Conversion...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Got two universal blade fuse blocks (the '76 has two circuits- always hot, and "ignition on" is hot)... cut the old block out, stripped and cut the wires back to good copper and installed the blocks...
Light seem brighter and I can stop stocking a fist full of fuses in my ash tray...

LOL...

-D.Idiot
Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea but probably a lot of work. Still, might have to look into this option.

Retired USAF 1966-1986

Post subject: Re: Conversion...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:07 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Quote:
Quote:
Got two universal blade fuse blocks (the '76 has two circuits- always hot, and "ignition on" is hot)... cut the old block out, stripped and cut the wires back to good copper and installed the blocks...

LOL...

-D.Idiot
Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea but probably a lot of work. Still, might have to look into this option.
I'm sure there's also a block with the right number of constand and IGN circuits (maybe even one that uses relays?) that can be obtained.

Me, I'm looking heavily into saving up for an ISIS system and completely rewiring my Duster..............eventually.

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:25 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1967 Dodge Dart GT
i know its not as old, but dadtruck here in indy has put in a relay box from a 95 caravan for his electric fan, lights, hei, etc...he did a nice job, may have posted pics, thats just relays though, i think his truck is new enough to have the newer style fuses. luckily my "new" 88 volvo came with a bunch of extra fuses, and i grab new looking ones when i go to the yard for pieces.