Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1234 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Many thanks for your fast answer Fopar! So it would only be "easier" to find a connection for the 4 pin coil instead of the 3 pin coil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:10 am 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Yes and a lot cheaper also :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:50 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Sorry to beak in, willard and fopar, but you talk about coil with 4 connections; they only have two, a plus and a minus posts, three if you count the post for the ignition wire to the distributor. The GM coil pictured in the FAQ has one double terminal, it is just an extra pin for making it easy to attach a tach wire. On a coil with 2 pins you may have a double cable instead to ease the tachometer connection, see the picture of the Standard connector which has an extra cable into one of the connectors. The blue FD-478X coil is pictured in the FAQ, the blue coil is the higher performance version of the black FD-478. They both have two pin connector attachments, but they use a commonly used connector that also has a possibility for a third cable connected in other applications. (like Ford headlight connection). The connector pictured is a Standard #S-539, a similar is also avaliable from Summit as:
Wiring Harness Pigtail, Ignition Coil; 2pin, Ford, part # PCO-5712PT, $5.95.
I have the 2-pin Standard #FD-478 myself, and a Standard #LX-301 ignition module with 4 pins. I wait for other parts as well, so I haven't mounted mine on the car, therfore no pictures yet.
Olaf

Last edited by olafla on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:39 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
You are correct in the fact the coil only has 2 connections, but GM made at least two versions on the connecters. That was the reason for the need for different connectors, Not that one was better than the other. :)

Post subject: Coincidence or ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:43 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Valiant Sedan
I finally got around to wiring up my HEI. I have the 3 pin coil and connector. Everything seemed fine for a day. Drove it back and forth without a sign of an issue. Today, I decided to regap the plugs up to .045 to make the most of the effort. I then started the car, drove about a 1/4 mile up the street and the car died. Died like a switch. I checked for loose connections, couldn't find any, started it back up and it ran for a while and then died again. After I got it back to my garage, I figured out it would run for about 20 seconds before it would die. Unless I restarted it right away, in which case it would run for about 5 seconds. Or if I start it bone cold, run for about a minute and a half (or 1/4 mile, YMMV) and then die.

(Insert mental gymnastics sounds here :idea: ) First I put the plugs back to .035. No change. Then I swapped all the connections back to the stock electronic, eliminating all the HEI stuff. Ran fine for as long as I could stand. Then I tried it using the stock coil. Ran fine. Swapped back to the GM coil. Died after about a minute and a half. Swapped back and forth a few times to make sure and it seems that the coil has an open when it gets warm.

So, before I get a new coil like the old one, can anyone think of anything I could have going on that could have killed the coil? Or is this just a bad coincidence? I bought the coil used along with the mounting bracket, so I have no idea of it's previous life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:59 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Try the HEI module with it wired to the stock coil, that should be a way to see if the HEI coil is bad. If the motor still will not run after a while, you might have a bad module. Are you using the heat sink paste under the module?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:26 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1964 Valiant Sedan
Sorry if that wasn't clear. When I hooked up the stock coil, it was with the rest of the HEI connected, including the module. Module is brand new and has yummy paste between it and the heat sink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:17 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Then it does sound like the HEI coil is bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:24 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I just tried this to replace a dying Electric Spark Control ignition on my 82 Dodge pickup truck.

I have a two pickup distributor w/ a Run and Start pickup. I have tried to make the HEI ignition work on just the Run pickup. No results. Do I need to get a single pickup distributor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yes, you need a single-pickup distributor. If running a 2-pickup distributor, you can sit there cranking all day and there'll be no spark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:21 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I'm glad I stopped cranking after about five minutes and experimenting with the two pickups. Thank you very much for the quick answer, you have saved a novice from a ton of guesswork. I'm off to get a new distributor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
So I have been gathering parts for my own HEI conversion and am down to the wiring bits. In my search for a plug for the distributor connection I came across the idea of either buying a pickup coil and cutting off the connector (seems like a waste) or maybe I could modify a trailer connector:

I only need the two pins on one end for the connection. I'm going to go home tonight and see if my old boat trailer connector will work. Sure I'll have two extra connectors just hanging out but I'd prefer to not cut my original wiring up.

Post subject: Wiring choices...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Why not give weatherpak a try?

http://www.weatherpack.com/

Post subject: Re: Wiring choices...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:43 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Quote:

WeatherPack doesn't seem to have the unique male/female plug setup that the distributor connector features.

Post subject: Re: Wiring choices...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Quote:
Quote:

WeatherPack doesn't seem to have the unique male/female plug setup that the distributor connector features.
You don't really need it....

The male/female plug is so you hook it up correctly.

Any indexed plug that will only connect one way will be fine......

8)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1234 Next