Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:04 am

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:19 pm 
Offline
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:05 am
Posts: 20
Location: dallas, ga
Car Model:
several months back my 74 dart started to have this problem. when you would put it in reverse the starter would engage. someone suggested the neutral safety switch was the problem as I already knew it might be bad because I had to ground the relay to get it to start. I replaced the neutral safety switch and the problem went away except it still wouldn't start in neutral, however today the problem is back. I think someone on this board has previously said something to the effect that the shift linkage may be causing the problem. If so could someone tell me what I need to do. thanks


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:11 pm 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:27 pm
Posts: 14942
Location: Park Forest, Illinoisy
Car Model: 78 Volare
Sounds like you may have a wiring issue as well as a linkage adjustment problem.

For it to engage the starter relay the relay has to be getting a ground from the neutral switch, and a + from elsewhere. Check the harnesses from the trans to the firewall and make sure the reverse light wiring isn't melted into the starter harness.

_________________
Official Cookie and Mater Tormentor.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:08 am 
Offline
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:05 am
Posts: 20
Location: dallas, ga
Car Model:
slantzilla was correct. I disconnected the neutral safety switch last night, grounded the relay to start the engine and the problem went away. The engine will start in any gear now and the reverse lights wont work but for now I'm going to leave it that way. think I'll run new wiring when I have some time. Of course the problem may be in the socket. is there anywhere you could buy this harness


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:57 am
Posts: 1423
Location: Grass Valley, Ca.
Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
I suggest you unwrap the wiring in the area of the starter relay and look for a short. Should be easy to spot & fix without replacing the harness.

_________________
Chuck Rivers, Webmaster
Image Image Image Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited