Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: ballast bypass
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:00 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
hi all getting ready to do my HEI swap , and i am confused on how to bypass the duel ballast resistor, any pics or diagrams would be great i would love to be able to get this done tonight if possible,

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Connect the wire that goes to the coil to other side which is fed from the ignition switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:46 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
kinda get it do you have a pic of the finished setup ?? will there be wires not connected ??

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:12 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
I don't have a car that originally had a dual ballast resistor so I cannot generate a helpful photo. You can connect all the ballast resistor wires together and get the job done, but then you'll have battery voltage on a wire that doesn't need it. If you look at your wiring diagram it should be obvious what you need to jumper (connect).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:33 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
okay i will look at the diagram......... well on my car i have

green with a red stripe top left dark blue rightside top it

has a blue jumper going
brown bottom left from top to bottom

that how it looks when looking at the dual ballast on the fire wall

according to the book brown goes to the starter relay, green/red to the ignition module, blue to the ignition module,

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:06 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
oh sh!t car only runs with the key in the start/crank position as soon as the key is released imeaditly shuts off help needed by any and all asap !!!

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Hi Volare4life. Take a look at the thread Gm Hei Module Conversion Troubles. If it is for a Volare, it is the same as in my Aspen. The connectors going into the ballast resistor have only blue wires, on my car it is on the left side of the ballast resistor as seen from the front, the wires going out have some tan and brown wires. Pull out both the connectors from the ballast resistor, turn on your ignition and use a test light or a multimeter on any of the blue wires - they are connected with a loop, and you will see that they have power. Turn off the ignition and confirm there is no power in any of the blue wires. That is the source you use to trigger the relay. You can see from the measurments I made, that a relay is necessary to power the module. That's it! Take power to trigger the relay from the connector with the blue wires, and let the ballast resistor sit there, and let the connectors hang there. (or tape them to something - no need to connect them - they're not used for anything but ignition) The brown wire into the connector on the ballast resistor 'out' side, is connected to the starter relay, and gives full 12 Volt to the old ecu by bypassing the resistor in the startup moment, it is not used for anything else, and you don't need that anymore. The other wires are for the old ecu, you don't need them any more. You cannot see it on pictures yet, but I will run a red wire directly from the input post on the starter relay (the plastic protector on the alternator output post made it difficult to use) through a fuse to power the relay, so that the module and coil gets full power, and a blue trigger wire to the relay from the blue wire going into the ballast resistor. If you just disconnect the connector on the old ecu, put it into a small plastic bag and and tape it shut, and remove the high tension wire from the old coil, you can leave the old parts in place ready to be hooked up in minutes, as an extra insurance, just in case...

Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:29 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
no need i was racking my brain and realized that i hooked up the brown coil wire from the ballast resistor point, so i spliced the portion back together and ran a positive wire from coil to module and she fired right up damn this was frustrating, i coulda been to bed awhile ago !! hahaha oh well live and learn,

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:38 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Good to hear, Mike. You using a relay? If you've got a multimeter, please let us know the voltage reading you get at the blue wires into the ballast resistor, it's scary how much loss there is in the wiring harness. The HEI module is reportedly a bit fuzzy when not getting full voltage.

Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:36 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
not using a relay, i will measure the voltage tonight if i remember, got to swap the 727 out for my 904, not gonna be fun, car on jack stands, and trans R&R from the bottom yea fun