Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: '63 Dart 225
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:51 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hey fellas! New here, glad to find a Slant Six forum! This is so rad. 8)

Anyway, I drive a '63 Dart daily. It's got the 225 1bbl with 3-on-the-tree. I seem to have a cooling problem that I can't figure out. I've tried cleaning/flushing the cooling system, replaced the heater core [that was because it needed replacing, wasn't producing heat and I needed a heater when we had snow!], new thermostat back in August, and I just tried replacing the radiator with a much cleaner one out of a '60 Valiant I picked up last week. Still runs on either the 3rd mark, or the HOT mark. Will warm up slowly like it should but once it hits the middle of the gauge, where normal operating temp should be, all the sudden it will quickly go up to the 3rd mark or above. But the radiator has never boiled over, the current one or the previous one, and I've had the same exact problem since before I replaced the radiator.

So its not boiling over or causing any issues with driving...but it thats what the temp gauge reads. Now, when it gets that hot, the motor does run a little rougher. And it runs that hot everytime. I really have no idea...

??? I assumed it was a radiator problem but what are the odds of two radiators, the original one had a pretty bad calcium type build up in it, and this one is pretty clean...yet the car is still running the same temperature..3/4 or hot. I know its not a guage issue because in cold weather, like when we had our snowy weather back in november/december, it was about 10 degrees outside and the car would run on the middle mark or just a bit above it.

Any advice guys?

-Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:10 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1968 A108 225/3 on the tree
maybe the water pump is partly block? if u had calcium in the rad, it's probly in the rest of the system.

the colder temps just keep everything colder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:43 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
It may sound silly, but is there a chance that you have mounted the thermostat upside-down?

At what temp is it opening? See the text at the bottom of this link for a reason for that question.

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:21 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Is it actually running hot or does the gauge say it is. I would verify what temp it is running with an IR thermometer. I am sure the in dash gauge is not very accurate. It probably wasn't when it was new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Sounds like your coolant temp sender is no longer providing the resistance curve it was intended to provide. Replace it and your gauge indication should clear up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Just out of curiousity, I took the thermostat out and drove the car a bit to see what it would do. Ran just above cold. So I'm wondering if my thermostat is due for replacement. I'm gonna do so tomorrow and see how if it makes any difference. [By the way, read the thermostat thread that was just posted, thanks for that info to everyone!] I'm driving to Sacramento tomorrow morning to do the Turlock swap meet, so I'll do some further testing when I'm at my uncle's place in Williams, replace the gauge and sender and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. She's my only car so I gotta make sure she stays on the road! :wink:

-Allan