Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:34 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Started a new thread because this is blowing my mind.

On my third try with a 1945 rebuild. Truck runs great after carb cleaned spotless, all passages CLEAN! A few miles later, starving for gas. Third time finding these little black crumbs in my fuel bowl, lots of them!

Brand new good fuel filter, brand new fuel mod. Pumped fuel into a bowl from carb inlet fitting....clean fuel. Snipped off a piece of my ethanol-rated brand new fuel injector hose to carb.....clean perfect rubber.

I put the chunks under a microscope this time and I SWEAR they are charcoal!!!!!

How the hell am I getting charcoal chunks into my fuel bowl and clogging up my carb?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Coal bits are from your emissions vapor can, get a filter in between this and your carb bowl vent. This will stop that.

Cheers, Wizard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:33 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Coal bits are from your emissions vapor can, get a filter in between this and your carb bowl vent. This will stop that.

Cheers, Wizard

Until that filter stops up, then you have other problems. A new cannister, or bypassing until a new is found works. The charcoal should not be coming out of the cannister, so its coming apart inside and needs replaced.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Get a new charcoal cannister and it'll fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:48 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quote:
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Get a new charcoal cannister and it'll fix it.
Can't seem to find one?

All I can find is a carbon canister filter for $1.99, would rather just buy a NEW canister, don't want to trust an old junkyard part as I am already about to torch the truck at this point, LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:20 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Don't worry, the filter mats works great. I got a package years ago for my Aspen, and I have replaced them a couple of times. I know one guy dismantled the canister and wrapped the charcoal pieces in an old silk stocking he nicked from his mother! (nylons are no good-fumes kill them eventually)

Olaf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Year One has them if you want to keep it stock.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:27 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The filter is not some kind of a stopgap or add-on to keep charcoal from leaving the canister. It's an inlet filter to make sure only clean air enters the canister. Periodic-replacement item on canisters with replaceable filters. But it is not something that will fix this problem you're having, which is caused by internal breakdown of the canister. Mopar-spec canisters are not serviced in the aftermarket, and I don't seen them in the Year One catalogue. Chrysler P/N 4723 551 is a 4-port service replacement for many '80s-'90s applications and can readily be adapted to earlier cars. You need two vent-in ports ("Bowl" or "Carb" and "Tank"), and one purge-out port ("Purge"). Plug any unused ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:16 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I'll try that P/N Dan, thanks!

I have 4 ports being used on mine anyway so that might be a perfect fit.

I'd still like to disassemble this one and have a look at the internals.

It looks like the bottom (and possibly the top) should unscrew but it isn't budging!

Took me a while (and a lot of aggravation) to figure out what was happening here. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
My canister was actually labeled with P/N 4227010

Local Dealer/Stealer says it was superseded by P/N 4723550 and available at the warehouse. $115.00

OUCH!!!!! :shock:
Hoping to get it this afternoon! It will be worth it to get it fixed once and for all!

They aren't even sure that it comes with the mounting bracket for that price. Of course one of the studs on mine snapped, will have to drill it out and monkey a bolt through the fenderwell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:01 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Got my vapor canister that was SUPPOSED to be P/N 4723550

The box had been opened before and what they pulled out was a P/N 4644418 that didn't even show up in their system. :?

Internet searches showed it fits a 1994-2000 Dodge with a 318.

Does it really matter?

The physical dimensions and the port sizes/location are identical. If you peeled off the labels you couldn't tell the difference between this one and my old one.

I did negotiate a small discount for the part number not matching up though and got out the door for $99 incl tax.

EDIT: ARRRRRGH!!!!! Just found out that this canister was part of a recall. Seems it can contaminate the engine with charcoal. The exact problem I just had!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Looking at last years Year One A/C body catalog....
The 1972-74 canister Year One part number is FD 1982 $76.00 ea.
The charcoal canister filter packet is $5.10 ea.

I received a the filter packet last year and I know another friend was able to order one. When I called they tried to give me the run around but I finally got a hold of someone that could help me.

I would give them a call and track these parts down to find out if they can still get them......or rebuild yours with some extra filter media cloth so it won't draw back into your carb.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:52 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Quote:
Looking at last years Year One A/C body catalog....
The 1972-74 canister Year One part number is FD 1982 $76.00 ea.
The charcoal canister filter packet is $5.10 ea.

I received a the filter packet last year and I know another friend was able to order one. When I called they tried to give me the run around but I finally got a hold of someone that could help me.

I would give them a call and track these parts down to find out if they can still get them......or rebuild yours with some extra filter media cloth so it won't draw back into your carb.
Mine doesn't even come apart to my knowledge! Believe me I tried!

Nothing is ever easy it seems. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:59 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
"Mine doesn't even come apart to my knowledge! Believe me I tried!

Nothing is ever easy it seems. "

welcome to the wonderful world of hot roddin'/bike building....
bolt on / yea after you
a. grind
b.cut
c.drill
d.weld
e. all the above

LOL you gotta love it

keep on roddin'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:34 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Cleaned the carb again, blew out the lines with compressed air, installed the new canister, adjusted the carb and she is running smooth. Test drive tomorrow.

Will probably install a clear fuel filter on the bowl vent line so I can monitor the canister and keep the charcoal out of the carb if it fails in the future. Cheap insurance.

The last canister made it almost 27 years so may be overly cautious but don't want to worry about this one again!

Thanks for the help folks!!!! :D