Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I put fast in quotations because everyone's idea of fast is different, this motor would be going in my dart which is my daily driver but I want to do it right. I found a locked up motor for $65 bucks and wanted to know if I can even use it:

I want something that I can drive everyday, just something with a little more power than a stock motor, thinking a 4 barrel, all ARP hardware, headers or dutras, and a cam. If anyone has any suggestions for a mild build I'm open to everyone's ideas. I'm tired of my friend mocking my motor because his parents bought him a '67 cougar with a built small block.

Thanks,
Seth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:15 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
What is it in now? Only big concern would be the size of the crankshaft hole at the clutch end.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:20 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Right now, nothing, its been outside for 4 or 5 years, so I'm expecting a lot of water. I will check the motor/trans next week

Post subject: How much money...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I'm tired of my friend mocking my motor because his parents bought him a '67 cougar with a built small block.
So if we were to face hm and you off at a grudge match...say he has a moderately built 302 (I'm sure he does not have a $10K cammer kit engine....)...

Let's say on street tires he's about a 15 sec car....

You want a later block than the generator engine, you might even cater to finding a cast crank engine (1976+) since the crank is lighter than the forged unit.

4 barrel- about 500-600 cfm unit- probably clifford for most flow
Compression about 10-11:1SCR if you aren't going blown
Cam...that's almost a personal choice
ARP headstuds if you cut a crap load out of the deck and head...otherwise stock headbolts might work and save $$$ for something else.
Headers are a must.

Headwork/porting/larger valves are most of the success to your build...

The remainder will come from the other side:

You need a rear gear that will support the engine...but with a 3rd gear at 1:1/direct...you might have problems with daily driving if you go to a set of 3.91's.....a stouter rear end will help (8.25"+)

Your A-904 will need some upgrades to handle the new found horsepower.

Any weight you can remove from the car will also help...

-D.Idiot

Your worst case scenario... :lol:

Based on pricing when I was in high school a couple of decades back:

Compared to a friend driving a 383 powered 1968 Fury, and I was insured and driving my mom's 68 valiant 225 3 speed...

My parent's saved $400/year on insurance costs (good grades and no V-8), his mileage was about 14mpg highway...and about 10mpg in town...he filled up twice weekly....I topped up the tank at the end of the week for $5
(when ARCO was at $1.05 for regular...)

In today's costs...you buddy's parents are 1) loosing money short term and not saving it toward his education, 2) run the risk that if he flaunts his new found horsepower and lack of good judgement at his age, he could lose control and not be among the living (there's a reason that insurance rates for drivers 16-24 are about double that for drivers 28+)

If he gives you any grief tell him that a fast car won't buy him an education, a good job, or the responsibility that comes with the priviledge of a driver's license...

As an upper management person in my company, I have a hard time finding employees that have excellent driving records and the responsibility that comes with that record, as that directly relates to
reliability, and someone who will keep his job long term. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:50 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
It's a 289 bored to 313, MASSIVE cam, 4 barrel, hooker headers and it's quick, he just can't drive it very well :). And to go on about education, his parents are paying for all of it. Any problem hes had with it, I've fixed. But I want to be able to at least compete with him motor wise, I beat him in every car show right now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Good tires, good shocks, add front and rear anti-roll bars

and you don't have to slow down for the corners.

and in case you do have to slow down

better brakes.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:28 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Nongan:
Quote:
It's a 289 bored to 313, MASSIVE cam, 4 barrel, hooker headers and it's quick, he just can't drive it very well
Save your money, just wait him out, stay out of his car when it is moving, and he will solve the problem you perceive as too slow by driving that thing off into the pucker brush, and than to the crusher…

Bill

Post subject: Mustang
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:53 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1983 d150 a833 vin m
Coming out of that era,stay away from a build 289-do some research on the 289 hi po's and the ones Carrol Shelby buildt.They wind up very fast and the hipo was 275 hp from the factory before Shelby modified it.That car will wind up around a tree or on its roof-many did.Stay out of that car unless you have a death wish-its for EXPERIENCED drivers.And I come out of the hemi and l88 427 era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Don't waste money on fancy fasteners - stockers are fine. Put money into a good flowing cylinder head. Mike Jeffrey in Lexington, NE is the man to call for a dependably excellent and high flowing head.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:27 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Another way one can look at this topic is a second car. Use your nice, fuel friendly, a body for your daily driver, and a second car just for the track, straight line or curved. Owning 2 cars is cooler than one car. I LOVE seeing vintage cars on the road as much as possible.. Over the past 15+ years, my daily drivers have been...66 Dodge Monaco 500, 1970 Lemans Sport, 1961 Cadillac 2dr HT, and now a 1963 Valiant Signet 200 Convert. I still have the 61 Caddy and my 87 Ramcharger. My next car I want to get is going to be strickly a road race car, ideally a formula vee or something of the like. My 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:14 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
To build a slant powerful enough to whip your friend's car is to build a slant that won't be a pleasant daily driver.

Unless... You can use a power adder (Nitrous).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:00 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
You may take a look in the 'engine' FAQ, under Engine Build Matrix, there you'll find a lot of different approaches to more power. Do some mixin' and matchin', and sit down and think through what you really want - and can afford - and then follow that plan closely! Don't change plans underway, and you'll get what you ordered! Happy building, and keep us informed.

Olaf.

BTW: Every tips and tricks in the book when it comes to the SL6 building process, is documented in the FAQ, use them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Man this is like a an age old tale, I mean it was 4 years ago I was saying about the same thing! Starting off the slant 6 is an endurance race, not a quarter mile....

A buddy purchased a nova with a fairly nice 350, he ripped that out and shoved a 454 with fairly nice Wilwood brakes. It was rubbed in my face that my slant six wouldn't stand a chance in the quarter mile, and he was absolutely correct. His parents paid for that and offered to pay for school. He choose not to go to college and put a lot of work into his car. I did get to put nice stuff in my car, but never was it as fast as that Nova.

Now I have a degree, a 60k salary, a career and a car I'm proud of because I have worked on it. Soon, it will be very fast!

So now that the lecturing is done, I would put a lot of stock in suspension (bushing rebuild), brakes, and mileage. First off, gas prices will go up and he will not be driving that car much soon. Second, I put a bigger camshaft in and was more disappointed than before, so that being said.

*819 camshaft from Oregon Cam grinders
*shave the head with bigger valves
*more fuel through a bigger carb

That is all enough to keep you happy, and if you are still working on stuff this summer i might be able to help you more if your in the Salem area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Well put Wes, I totaly agree with your advice for him. Fast is expensive and there is more to life than proving something to a jerk in the long run. Just enjoy your car as is and do little cheap improvements as your extra money and time alow.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
All that being said, a good camshaft from Oregon Cam Grinders and a good carb would be a real nice addition to anyone's slant! A nitrous bottle sure would look cool, but maybe a little bit too much temptation....